using chicken poo instead of cowmuck

• 40 Replies

philskin

using chicken poo instead of cowmuck
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:46 »
could anyone tell me the amounts it is wise to use of the chicken muck ,we have got rucks of chicken sheds by were we live and with the problems of the cowmuck im tempted to use this ,but i dont want to use that much it will burn the plants next year ,i will be digging it in in about 2 months time ready for next yr then it will be covered in black polythene  cheers you wise folk in advance
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
Re: using chicken poo instead of cowmuck
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:55 »
A colleague of mine has chickens and uses their manure, but well rotted or composted to take the heat out of it and avoid any of the burning - its really good stuff, he uses it over cow or horse manure!

Zippy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:06 »
Are there any problems using hen shed scrapings? This is where the chicken poo comes together with any floor litter the shed may have had, along with broken egg shells and feathers? I suppose I am most concerned about the litter in this mix?

It seems to be a combination of fine grit and possibly sawdust. I don't know what is used for this usually? It is usually left in carrier bags on the "free table" at the allotment main shed - don't know why the plot holder doesnt use it him/herself.

Any suggestions? Other wise, my answer to the original post is it is far richer than cowmuck and safer and a littel goes a long way. An alternative may be stable manure where the owners know the grazing fields are not sprayed, but it is not as Nitrogen rich and is full of water making it hard work to collect, whereas hen muck comes in smaller packages.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:10 »
My colleague uses the lot - literally sweeps the floor and puts it to use so I cant see why not! As zippy said, at least you can be sure its not full of aminipyralid or any other nasty things?!

philskin

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:39 »
problem is i cant get any old chicken muck only fresh out of the chicken sheds ,i was hoping if i rotavated it in early enough it would of lost its strength by the time next sowing planting comes around

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:46 »
2 things come to mind for me Phil, 1 if you rotavate it in say early November and cover, then the worms will have 5 good months to take it down and also, how about adding some to your compost heaps?

We put some on our compost heaps, but as we have too much, Brian puts the rest on the bonfire and I use some of the ash!

philskin

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:01 »
sounds good to me grannieannie

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 12:06 »
Its great stuff but need to be aged a bit..

I have two piles from my chucks..An old one from last year that will be added to the beds soon and this years pile that will be added at the end of next year..

I tend to add to surface and leave for a month then dig in for over winter..Does the trick..

I do also use manure, again this is left a year before using..

Cudders

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 15:00 »
wood shavings aren't good to compost so we use straw in our sheds and compost it with the poo.  haven't tried to use, 'fresh stuff' on the garden, most manure does need to compost a bit before using.  We once used some relatively fresh cow muck on the flower beds and imported hundreds of weeds  :(
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

philskin

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 18:36 »
wood shavings aren't good to compost so we use straw in our sheds and compost it with the poo.  haven't tried to use, 'fresh stuff' on the garden, most manure does need to compost a bit before using.  We once used some relatively fresh cow muck on the flower beds and imported hundreds of weeds  :(

neighbours in the village are truly organic they bought some straw of another farmer and used it then it was chucked out with the manure and spread it on theres and other peoples gardens ,now it turns out to be that ammo stuf and theres plus other gardens are ruined so be careful were the straw is bought from

janette

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 21:35 »
Hi I'm a really lazy gardener so when I clean out the chicken houses I spread it straight on the beds that will grow brassicas next year and just leave it over the winter . If I don't get time to dig I just clear a space for each plant then it acts as a mulch and keeps the weeds down cabbages like firm soil and heart up better . Keep to your cow or horse manure for your bean and pea trenches as they are not so nitrogen rich .

philskin

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 21:46 »
so would sheep muck be better for the beans

janette

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 21:52 »
Oh yes sheep muck works well for tomatoes too

devondave

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 22:52 »
I put the chicken poo in a big bucket or water tank and put lots of water in with it, leave it a few days and use it to water anything that needs nitrogen, really works well, then after about 3 days empty the poo remains into the compost and start again

poppies

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 23:17 »
Hi I'm a really lazy gardener so when I clean out the chicken houses I spread it straight on the beds that will grow brassicas next year and just leave it over the winter . If I don't get time to dig I just clear a space for each plant then it acts as a mulch and keeps the weeds down cabbages like firm soil and heart up better . Keep to your cow or horse manure for your bean and pea trenches as they are not so nitrogen rich .

I thought about doing this but our birds seem to spill a lot of food on the floor wont this encourage mice and rats

xx
Chicken Poo

Started by dickpiggot on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 19, 2007, 00:57
by cozzcov
xx
What to do with Chicken Poo?

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 13:58
by bigben
xx
Old Chicken Poo

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 23:55
by Trillium
xx
Chicken poo

Started by PLecostrum on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 16:52
by Trillium

Page created in 0.671 seconds with 29 queries.