Beginner Questions

• 15 Replies

BigStan

Beginner Questions
« on: April 29, 2007, 18:51 »
Sorry for starting a new thread on a subject that has been discussed before but I could not get all the answers I needed from trawling.

I am looking into keeping chickens at home and I want to let them roam the garden but have them in a run for security if I am not around. However as you can imagine there are just a few questions I need to answer before jumping in, cash is tight.

I have looked through the forums and found some answers but I apologize if my questions are getting old now.

1.   What vaccinations do chickens need and how much per year would vets bills be typically?
2.   I have an 18 month old and one on the way (June) what are the health concerns for children? No matter how careful I am, droppings are sure to end up being tasted.
3.   How high can chickens flap if their wings are not clipped?
4.   Does clipping their wings cause any distress?
5.   Do I have to register them? I was thinking 3 or 4 hens.
6.   What is the typical cost for a house and run?
7.   Where is the best place to buy chickens?
8.   Finally, is there anybody in or around Ipswich who would be willing to let me come and see how things are done or even visit me to advise and make sure I am sutable? :oops:

Sorry for the length.

Stan

:D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Beginner Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 19:42 »
Hi Big Stan,

WELCOME to the plot :D

I can answer SOME of your questions.

1. What vaccinations do chickens need and how much per year would vets bills be typically?  
A good breeder will have innoculated them agains all the common chicken problems including:

Marek Disease Virus
Salmonellla
Coccidiosis
Salmonella Enteriditis
Infectious Bursal Disease
Gumborough Disease
Infectious Bronchitis
Infectious Laryngotracheitis
Avian Encephalomyelitis
Egg Drop Syndrome 1976

2. I have an 18 month old and one on the way (June) what are the health concerns for children? No matter how careful I am, droppings are sure to end up being tasted.
No idea I'm afraid

3. How high can chickens flap if their wings are not clipped?
Chickens are ground dwelling birds but naturally like to roost in trees for safety.  Then height they can flap to will depend upon their size and smaller birds can get higher.  As a rough guide I'd say a medium sized bird tould get to 6 or 7 feet .

4.  Does clipping their wings cause any distress?
Absolutely none

5.  Do I have to register them? I was thinking 3 or 4 hens.
You only need to register them if you have more than 50 birds.

6.  What is the typical cost for a house and run?
£0 - £ loads.   Just depends what you want to do DIY - bespoke

7.  Where is the best place to buy chickens?
You could try an intenet surch or yellow pages of get a copy of Practical Poultry -  they always have a list of suppliers.

8.  Finally, is there anybody in or around Ipswich who would be willing to let me come and see how things are done or even visit me to advise and make sure I am sutable?
Sorry I can't answer that one :D

garyansell

Beginner Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 19:45 »
Hi Stan,
           The running costs for my six chickens are approx. £5 per month (feed), kitchen scraps and lawn clippings (no dogs poo tho.) are free. I am really into recycling so for the calcium suppliment I keep the egg shells put them into the blender and put it into their feed, my thinking is, if it came out of the chicken so it should be safe to go back in. I have been doing this for over a year and no ill effects so far. When you (or the other half) peels potatos keep the peelings and boil them till soft and then dry them for ten minutes in the oven, the choice is yours now as you can mash it and put in some oats or give them to the chickens as they are (which is what I do) its a treat for them. As for health issues I'm not sure for young kiddies, but as with most things, if the coop and run is kept clean everything should be fine. As for the toddlers picking stuff up and putting it in the mouth, I dont think you will stop it, as you are well aware you have to have eyes in the back of your head with kids and my kids have been known to have a snack of worms and dirt!! My chicken house is made of a packing case and the run is made of recycled fencing panels and chicken wire. Look on the freecycle websites everything is free and only costs the fuel money and a little of your sanity trying to find the houses!!!. Finally to buy your chickens have you thought of rescued ex-battery hens only a donation is required instead of £7 per bird when bought commercially. They may look a sorry sight but they soon recover, and my ones are now all laying. Good luck and welcome. Gary  :D
Gazza the grumpy, stumpy sumpy.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Beginner Questions
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 19:53 »
Yes I forgot rescue hens

www.thehenshouse.co.uk

click on contact (top right) to find a coordinator near you.

WG.

Beginner Questions
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 20:09 »
Hi BigStan & welcome

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Beginner Questions
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 20:58 »
Hi BigStan welcome to the site, think everyone's covered your Q's for you,

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

BigStan

Beginner Questions
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 21:37 »
Thanks for the welcome, I think most things are answerd.
I have thought about rescue hens but decided to learn more about chickens first. I don't waznt to e wandering if any problems are caused y me or the heatlh of the bird before I got it.

I started thinking aout oneof the moverle arks but them seem a little small if I cannot let them out everyday, so now I am thinking of building a bigger run so there is planty of room if I am away for a while.

Is there a prople if they have freshly dug earth? I amthinking of a run under a willow tree where grass does not grow.

garyansell

Beginner Questions
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 22:19 »
Hi Stan,
           Chickens love to scratch on freshly dug earth, they pick the bugs and worms from it. The only problem with siting it under your willow tree, is the reduced light levels. Others may be more knowlegeable than I. Good luck. Gary  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Beginner Questions
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 09:58 »
As long as it is not too dark (they nred goo light to keep them laying) they will enjoy the shade.  That's why tradidtionally hens were allowed to run in the orchard

WG.

Beginner Questions
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 09:59 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
As long as it is not too dark (they nred goo light to keep them laying) they will enjoy the shade.  That's why tradidtionally hens were allowed to run in the orchard
or under a golf umbrella ...  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Beginner Questions
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 09:59 »
Quite so WG :lol:

diamond_lil

Re: Beginner Questions
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 23:24 »
Where is the best place to buy chickens?
For a grand day out, try Melton Mowbray Fur and Feather market. Tuesdays. They sell absolutely every sort of poultry and it is great fun to see them all and even have the odd bid. You can get some great bargains in meat, fruit and veg as well.

spekkynl

Beginner Questions
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 17:58 »
hi , just noticed you wanted some help in the ipswich area , we have just bought 4 hens form anglian wildfowl near neeedham market. didnt know much as we are beginners went along to see him really helpful guy discussed what we wanted how much room we had and left with 2 golden comets and 2 sussex whites i think they are . they have moved into our kids old playhouse 8` x 6`with an open run outside for them. we have had 4 eggs in 3 days so well impressed. heres his site  http://www.angliawildfowl.co.uk/
i would definitley recomend him.

cherrypie

Beginner Questions
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 20:17 »
hello big stan, i'm in woodbridge and also new to keeping chickens i was given a broody hen so went to see a man called lester at little bealings he lives at "The white house" and keeps 100's of chooks and seems to know everything. i bought fertile eggs from him £1 each so now my little hen is happily sitting, i was told just to turn up i think he lives in the back garden with his hens, if my eggs don't hatch or are roosters i'll go back to him to buy some POL. i don't think he does feed or any extras just chooks and eggs.
hope that helps
cherrypie

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Beginner Questions
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 13:48 »
hi, ive just come home from visiting anglia wildfowls and was also very happy with the help and advice. i got to meet lots of newly hatched chicks and came home with two new additions to my family. two young ducks.
Nick couldn't have been friendlier and it was great to come away knowing that his help is always just a phone call away.
you can see everything from peacocks and swans to geese and ducks,  and chooks galore and with over 120 species, he is definately worth a visit.

the only downside is that at Needham Market he is just a few miles down the road from me and WAY to tempting to keep nipping back for something new to bring home.

xx
The complete beginner -two questions!!

Started by WhippetMaster on The Hen House

40 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 22:27
by nicchick
xx
Beginner.......with lots of questions!!

Started by momo32 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 00:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Absolute beginner

Started by inab on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 17:12
by inab

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 29 queries.