Fitting a beak bit - any tips!

• 12 Replies

jo40

• Experienced Member
Fitting a beak bit - any tips!
« on: August 24, 2009, 20:50 »
Hello

We have now had a few attempts at fitting a beak bit to our bullying feather eater  :nowink:
We were told to open the beak then slide the ring into position, the problem is it always seems to end up in the wrong place.  :wub: just above the nostrils.
Poor Wilma (splash maran) is getting fed up of solitary confinement and us messing with her face :mad:
Any tips or other ideas?
Jo

poultrygeist

Re: Fitting a beak bit - any tips!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 22:31 »
Depends what sort it is. I found I had to open out the bit, get OH to hold the hen, then hold the beak as firmly as possible without gurting her, slide the bit into position, then close the ends into the nostrils and fiddle the ends under the flaps. I was terrified of hurting them but a day or so of sulking, not eating, standing with head down in a corner, shaking head, scratching at beak, they do get used to it. Then some of them figure out how to remove them and you start again.  ::)

Rob 8)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 23:04 »
I saw these on ebay last night, and to be honest I thought they were a  wind up till I saw the amount of feedback for purchases!!!

How do the hens breath if they have the prongs in their nostrils :(  Through their beaks??

I can see the necessity for them though.... :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 23:09 »
I think it leaves enough room in the nostril. Trouble is, after a few weeks, they wear a groove in the lower beak and become a bit useless. I need to review ours.

Rob 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 23:27 »
I have 2 girls with beak rings and this is how i fit them (on my own too!)
get and old towel and a cup of hot water, pop the beak ring in the hot water (this softens it and makes it easier to open enough.)
now find a comfotable seat and position the beak ring within easy reach.
get your hen and wrap her in the towel (tightly) so her wings cant come free and just her head is sticking out.
sit down with the hen in your lap on her back with the back of her head resting against your chest (this stops her moving her head away from the ring.)
Now sort of grip her body with your legs and get the ring, open it with 2 hands (sort of using the inside of your forearms to hold the hen back into your chest) and bring it towards her beak. she will struggle but gently but firmly positon the end of the ring under the tip of her top mandable (beak) she will open her beak briefly and you quickly pull the ring into her mouth and pop the end bits into her nostrils! it all sounds complicated but once you have the hang of it, it only takes seconds.
once you put the hen down she will act all unsteady and try to scratch it off but if its fitted correctly (in the nostrils not just pushing the nostril flap down) it wont come out and within 24 hours she will forget its there!

Hope this helps?

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:26 »
Circlip pliers open outwards when you squeeze the handles together - makes fitting them much easier, I should think.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:09 »
good idea, but be careful you dont bend the plastic to much or it wont go back and will be too loose to stay in! (i know this from experience) also when you need to release the ring the hens beak may stop the pliers from moving!

Poultrygiest! Roatie did the same with her beak ring so i took a cardboard nail file and just gently filed the very tip of her beak a little till it didnt touch again!

Debbie

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 14:42 »

Poultrygiest! Roatie did the same with her beak ring so i took a cardboard nail file and just gently filed the very tip of her beak a little till it didnt touch again!

Debbie

:blink:  My toes are curling at the very thought  ???   I may give it a go. I'll also try your method of holding them. Their heads were bucking about like broncos when I tried fitting.  ::)

Rob 8)

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 18:51 »
Some really good tips, thank you.

We will give it another go later.  :)
Jo

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 21:32 »
Yey :D
Warming the bit first made all the difference, it was much easier to get it into position. Wilma is not impressed but hopefully returning her our little flock tomorrow will cheer her up!
Thanks again Jo  :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 21:32 »
Where do you get them from other than ebay..... and do they do a size for quail..... I have two very naughty japanese quail that are in solitary at the moment :(

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 21:41 »
Hi
I got them from the domestic fowl trust, online. £1 for 8, no postage. I have no idea if it would be suitable for quail though.
I has certainly done the trick with Wilma. 
100_0331.JPG

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 21:52 »
Think quail nostrils might be a little small for them to work!  ??? im keeping a close eye on my 4 cortinux quail as i have 3 boys and 1 girl and know the boys will fight! 2 of my boys are off to live with a gamekeeping friend as the kiddies have refused point blank to eat them  :lol:

anti peck spray might work but if there are too many boys i think they will always fight!  ???
Debbie

xx
Fitting nose rings on chooks

Started by soya-bean on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 17:46
by henamoured
exclamation
Hen beak

Started by granigale on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 15:14
by joyfull
xx
I have a beak

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 14:40
by oddpaws
xx
what do i do with beak????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 21:24
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 28 queries.