What Runner beans taste the best ?

• 24 Replies

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
What Runner beans taste the best ?
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:38 »
I have three varieties growing to help me choose for next year, what are the varieties you like for flavour and quality ?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: What Runner beans taste the best ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:44 »
personally i like White lady because the dont go string at all

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:48 »
Hi Lucy, if they don't string does that mean you don't have to cut the edge off them ?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:55 »
i never do, i also grow scarlet emperor and you can definately tell the difference

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 16:15 »
I'll agree with the white lady runners, been great this year :)

Griffo

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 19:02 »
I've always grown Scarlet Emperor but this year tried a new(ish?) variety called Celebration. They have rather nice salmon-pink flowers and the first thing I noticed was the first truss of flowers set - I usually find they don't.

Since then, they jusy haven't stopped. Very heavy cropper, pretty much stringless unless you let them get really 'old' and very acceptable flavour. I would certainly grow them again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 19:33 »
That is funny! I tried Celebration as well as the White Lady...and the Celebration really haven't done very well for me at all. Will not be growing them again, although i must admit they look pretty ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 10:26 »
Have tried several of the "stringless" varieties in recent years (Wisley Magic, Lady Di, White Lady) which have all been pretty good performers but I sometimes think some of the "real" runner bean taste has been lost as well as the stringiness.

Have grown Celebration this year, (Munty frame - works well!) pretty flowers, good flower-setting, taste possibly better than those mentioned above, BUT as I write this there is not a single new flower on them to keep the crop coming, although I can't complain about the quantity I've had so far.

This may be the result of their early cropping - maybe this variety should be sown in stages to extend the season.

Anyone else's runners apparently decided they've done enough this early?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 10:52 »
I've grown Armstrong this year as Pippa Greenwood in Gardeners' World mag voted them best for flavour. Initial flowers (red) didn't set but the rest are now cropping nicely. They are very tender and the taste is good - they lacks that slight bitterness that some beans have and which I don't like. Germination was good and produced cracking plants with dark green leaves and a reddish stem. Read in RHS website about lack of beans setting - I think it was to do with both cold, windy weather and also the fact that, as bean flowers aren't very rich in nectar, most bees are busy elsewhere on nectar-rich plants until July when they finish flowering.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

goodegg

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 11:06 »
the bean i like the bestest of all is hunter they are a flat climbing bean which you pick young about six inch long very tasty and what a cropper very good ive been grwing these for several years never disapointed me.

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 14:50 »
personally I can't stand the things.

I grow only French climbers - cooked, stir fried, or crunchy in salads, bumper crops and freeze well. :)

A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 22:06 »
I have grown Best of All which I thought some were a bit tough, Enorma nice taste but lots of beans have poor quality skin and also Celebration which have nice skins and good flavour , so for me it will be Celebration next year again.

madcat

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 10:39 »
Scarlet emperor going like the clappers and if you dont miss them and let them get too big, pretty much stringless.  Teeny beanies from T&M (free gift) doing nicely too - red flowers and a shorter wider smoother skinned bean.  Can't tell much difference in flavour.

Grown over a munty frame with climbing french beans.  The runners have the idea about dropping down nice and straight, but the french beans dont get it at all ...  I'm going to have to go and read them the instructions about what they are supposed to do   :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

tode

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 10:50 »
You have to read in French, of course.   ;)

devondave

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 10:53 »
Dont have a clue what they were called but they were purple, they taste fantastic with no stringy edges, kept some and dried them for next year.

xx
Runner bean taste

Started by Bm1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2022, 23:00
by Bm1
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 46 queries.