Abcess on chooks face :(

• 6 Replies

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Abcess on chooks face :(
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:23 »
One of my ex-bats has a swelling on the side of her face... at the angle where the beak hinges are  :unsure:

I have opened her beak and inside there is a corresponding greeny layered lump.  I have tweezered this off (no need to break skin) and then a gentle squeeze resulted in a hard dark yellow lump of what I assume was pus shot out  :ohmy:

The area now looks red (obviously) but cleaner... and the hen is happily eating, drinking etc.

Is there anything else I should do for now.....

They have been started on Aureomycin today for their colds..... but will this be effective against the abcess too???

Any ideas anyone :) :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: Abcess on chooks face :(
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 22:03 »
That will be a no then  :blink:

iwantanallotment

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 22:12 »
Sorry chookiechook, I've not been on all day but am no expert anyway  :blush:

I'd think the antibiotics will help, and also bathe the area/hole where the pus came from? Either in salt water or weak TCP? Just to stop it recurring til it heals up.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 22:16 »
No worries :)  I have just asked a vet friend who said it might help as its a broad range  antibiotic.......

But as usual, no normal pet vets know anything about chooks :(  I had to get the name of the antibiotic from this forum.... :) :)

iwantanallotment

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 22:27 »
Tell me about it, chookiechook - I took my chick to the vets yesterday and had to tell the vet what was wrong with her & what meds she needed :D

Think most of us are in the same boat, unfortunately. Hopefully as someone else said, now chicken-keeping has escalated maybe more vets will learn/take courses?

Got some funny looks from other folks in the vets, with their dogs & cats....one man thought my chick was a kestrel, another thought she was a quail  :D

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 22:53 »
At least it saved me the consultation fee......

The last time I took a chicken to the vets, I got charged £17 for the vet to say..... Oh, its a chicken..... whats wrong with it!!!!

I had to tell them what was wrong with it that time too :)  I should have charged them £17 :laugh:

iwantanallotment

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 23:10 »
Yep, I was charged £20 odd consultation too!
You're right chookie, I should've charged the vet for that impartation of knowledge :D  :D

She did weigh my little girl though, plonked her onto those massive scales which weigh the hugest of dogs. I asked "Does it measure such small denominations as a little chick?" she replied "I don't know"  :D  But it did, and my chick was 0.3kg.

Until vets are familiar with poultry, Google and forums such as this excellent one are a poultry-keeper's best friend  :)

ps - when I used to breed and show my dogs I could buy antibiotics freely - amoxicillin - that came from Ireland. It's amazing how cheap they actually are, before vets take their cut   :blink:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:08 by iwantanallotment »

xx
Hen's face changes colour

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 23:36
by Lindeggs
xx
SWOLLEN FACE

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 10:17
by Paddywack
xx
pale face?

Started by susa on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 21:15
by Casey76
xx
Brahma's red face

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 07:48
by Lynda_T

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 28 queries.