shaded areas?

• 11 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
shaded areas?
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:50 »
I am just planning what i am going to put where next year... however i have a quite a large part of the plot shaded most of the day...... what can i grow in that area? its only my 2nd year of growing....

this year i have grown peas, carrots, onions, potatoes (in pots) courgettes/squash (which still waiting to do something!) cabage, beetroot, sweede tomatoes and sweetcorn.... will any of these do ok?

Trillium

Re: shaded areas?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 19:40 »
Most veg will grow in shaded areas, but they will grow more slowly, ripen later than other varieties and perhaps not crop as heavily as in sunny areas. But it will still be worth it.  Toms and corn should go into the longest sunniest parts you have.

noshed

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 20:28 »
Leafy things don't mind being in the shade. It's the only place to grow lettuce in the height of summer
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

tode

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 08:30 »
Blackberries do well in a bit of shade: you get juicier berries.
Our runners are shaded by a tree until about midday, and are doing very well
All depends on what you mean by shade  ;)
Got a photo ?

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 18:52 »
Thanks for that i may just try a few things......i have been told the hedge is doing to be cut back by 2mtrs so by next year it might not be so shady....  i have a nice sunny spot in my garden for my tomotoes and sweetcorn (the sweetcorn on plot did rubbish this year) and i am hoping to get a greenhouse as well... :-)

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 08:44 »
Half our garden is shaded for most of the day (it gets the sun as it comes up, then goes down!).  This year weve grown spuds and lettuce there, along with the blackberry and rhubarb plants (permanent fixtures). All of these have done really well.

Dominic

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 14:13 »
Rasperry will grow in full shade, but not well.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 14:43 »
You should also try and avoid leaving the squash and onions in the shade – they will not be happy there.

madcat

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 14:57 »
I'll second that - I thought my squash and courgettes would like the damp patch.   :(  They do and grow lots of leaves (which I have to keep trimming off), but the shade means that they arent fruiting as well as they should even when I open it up by taking the leaves off.  Particularly the yellow courgettes.  I'm actually a bit short of them, which is Ridiculous!   
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 15:04 »
I'll second that - I thought my squash and courgettes would like the damp patch.   :(  They do and grow lots of leaves (which I have to keep trimming off), but the shade means that they arent fruiting as well as they should even when I open it up by taking the leaves off.  Particularly the yellow courgettes.  I'm actually a bit short of them, which is Ridiculous!   

(A bit off topic, but grow the squash/ courgettes in full sun, on a mound with manure or compost under it and use a plastic bottle in the ground to get water to the roots. The water soaks into the compost/ manure so the plant gets lots of water, nutrients and full sun – it is fair to say that they fruit prolifically in this environment!)

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 16:40 »
Red, white & black currants do well in part shade - especially redcurrants - & gooseberries do ok too.

madcat

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 16:37 »
(A bit off topic, but grow the squash/ courgettes in full sun, on a mound with manure or compost under it and use a plastic bottle in the ground to get water to the roots. The water soaks into the compost/ manure so the plant gets lots of water, nutrients and full sun – it is fair to say that they fruit prolifically in this environment!)

Yeh - I was being lazy and thought I could get round one of the watering jobs.   :(  Lesson learnt - can't win 'em all!   :wub:

xx
shaded, cooler corner

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 20:45
by mashbintater
xx
What can I grow up a very shaded fence?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 22:19
by yorkiegal
xx
Growing in shaded area

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 12:03
by robinsnest
xx
Tomatoes / Chillies / shaded bed

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 12:30
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 28 queries.