Only 2 weeks and a porly hen already

• 11 Replies

steaders

Only 2 weeks and a porly hen already
« on: August 15, 2009, 20:47 »
I know us newby’s only ever ask for help but desperately need some help. We have had our hens only 2 weeks and one is poorly already. She is drinking but not eating and Just stands in the corner looking glum. Strangely enough she has been laying an egg nearly ever day for the past 2 weeks, Photo below. Where do I start finding out what the problem is. Have chaecked her for Lice but can see nothing. Have cleaned out the coop but its only 2 weeks old so I don’t think it’s a problem.  Any ideas?

Gladys 2.jpg

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: Only 2 weeks and a porly hen already
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 20:58 »
By looking at the picture and the coop you have I would say it still could be mites, has her comb got a bit paler even though she is laying?
I have a coop similar to yours and suspected mites but couldn't find any, until a couple of weeks later when checking again it was crawling with them, it might not be this but worth checking again, see if you can see white deposits in the corners, when there are only a few mites they seem to attack the weakest hen first.
Do you give your hens grit and oyster shell?
A good idea would be to give them some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, (not supermarket type) I find this gives them a good boost.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

steaders

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 21:11 »
Thanks Michelle for your quick response, yes her comb has got paler and seem to have flopped over. I will get some mite powder in the morning.

Thanks again for your help.

P.S.  I was born in maidstone

Regards John

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 21:52 »
In addition you say she has been laying for the last 2 weeks, has she laid in the last few days? :)

iwantanallotment

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 23:34 »

A good idea would be to give them some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, (not supermarket type) I find this gives them a good boost.

Michelle xx

Please excuse my ignorance Michelle, but what other kind is there and where can it be bought? 
All the best with Gladys, John. Hope she's right soon  :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 23:40 »

Michelle xx

Please excuse my ignorance Michelle, but what other kind is there and where can it be bought? 
All the best with Gladys, John. Hope she's right soon  :)
hello, you can buy apple cider vinegar at horsey supplies stores or pet feed stores its used for horses etc
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steaders

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 08:24 »

Foxy, yes we believe so, but the last egg that we are certain is hers was Thursday. Of the other 3 hens one has not started yet and the other two have been intermittent up to now. We have had 5 eggs since Thursday and only the poorly hen is a regular layer.

I am trying to understand what we should be looking for. What would stop her eating?

I'm very grateful for your help.

Regards John

steaders

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 12:31 »
Well we have dusted them with Mite Powder and added ACV to their water. Fingers crossed that this makes a difference.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 12:51 »
You need to spray the pen with something that will kill the red mites, I use bleach mixed with jeyes fluid and water, but there are a lot of other products you can use.

Mixhelle xx

steaders

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 12:56 »
I scrubbed the coop out with Jayes Fluid yesterday, does that kill mites? or do I need bleech as well. Does it matter what sort (domestos) and how much?

So many questions ???

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 14:30 »
A reasonable product for sorting out red mite is "poultry shield" . Going back to your hen, check her crop first thing in the morning before she has eaten anything, what does it feel like? at the same time open her beak and have a sniff, if it smells a bit "musty" she may have a problem with her crop.
Also, if she has been laying frequently she might have a soft egg on the way, these can may a hen feel awful until it has been laid, have a very gentle feel of her abdomen and compare to the other hens, does it feel a bit bloated? Is her tail at half mast?  :)

steaders

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 15:52 »
Her tail is definately at half mast and her comb is pale and droopy too. I felt her crop this monring and to be honest it didn't feel any different to the others but whilst they are bustling and pushy as ever she stands back looking on.  :(

We dusted her with mite powder this morning and she does seem a little brighter than yesterday and has been half heartedly eating too so I am hoping she may pick up. We have only had them 2 weeks and are already a bit besotted!

The coop was thoroughly cleaned yesterday and we dusted it well with red mite powder this monring as well.

xx
3/4 weeks later

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 22:49
by Trillium
xx
25/26 weeks

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 17:38
by too many girls
xx
6 weeks now!!??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 12:52
by duckling
clip
Tell the sex of chick at 2 weeks??

Started by TashaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 10:52
by TashaH

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 37 queries.