Caterpillars

• 23 Replies

goodegg

Re: Caterpillars
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 16:49 »
spray with malt vinegar they dont like that it pickles them thats also what i use for blackfly

titch

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 21:48 »
oooh that sounds like fun, does it work? really?
just keep breathing................

egg

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 19:46 »
I'll try that! I hope it works as the plants are rapidly looking like lace!

skeltonsuperstud

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 21:20 »
I also got 3 rows(6m each) of sprouts and 1 row of caulies eaten by these little blighters whilst away on holiday for 2 weeks, went back to the local market garden place to buy sowm fresh seedlings to put in another bed where i'd dug my early spuds up.  Wwhilst there i spoke to the owner who informed me of a pandemic of Cabbage Whites this summer, he mentioned a solution of 4l water, vinegar(1 cup) and a splash of washing up liquid as a remedy for them, the washing up liquid acts a 'clinging' agent and the vinegar repels them but has no effect on the seedlings. Going to try tomorrow, we'll see.

Cheers,

Stu

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 00:30 »

I netted cabbage and kale seedlings with a double thick layer of 5mm mesh and blow me! the lovely white fluttery things >:( had got UNDER and I spent this morning squashing eggs and colonies of various sized caterpillars before I could plant out! Probably missed some so I'm now totally demented, what with blight, carrot fly, slugs, pigeons, mice, slugs, squirrels, slugs and cats.
So listen to the wisdom of Yorkie and make sure all netting touches the ground and is pegged down!!!
Yes, there are more this year, probably because everyone's trying to grow their own so there's lots of food! ::)

You lucky thing!  All those bugs but no mention of foxes that frolic and play in the middle of the plot....bless their little waggly tails  >:(  >:(  >:(

I do love nature but not when it tramples all my seedlings, leeks, chrysanths and gladioli  ;)

I've even tried sticking in stakes and winding strings across the plot to discourage the vixen from taking her cubs to play on my gorgeous soft soil but, between them, they just snap the string and sand-dance through the rows!

So.... morale of the story is viettaclark .... "things could be worse"  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 17:52 »
I also got 3 rows(6m each) of sprouts and 1 row of caulies eaten by these little blighters whilst away on holiday for 2 weeks,
Cheers,

Stu

Now my sprouts are starting to form along the stems, and I have kept getting rid of caterpillars as I see them, in addition to some spraying with bug clear which does the trick but only for a bit. I assume that tufts of sprout that have formed and been nibbled at WILL grow back once the caterpillar season ends and they die off.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

pushrod

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 19:41 »
Grow them under fleece  :)
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 21:12 »
There seems to be a lot of cabbage whites about this year.

The small cabbage white butterfly will lay 1 or 2 eggs on a leaf  and the caterpillers are green.
The large cabbage white will lay a cluster of eggs and the catterpillers are yellow and black/brown.
Both however are a pain in the a***

Elcie

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 21:22 »
I spent a lot of my allotment time today picking caterpillars off brussels, cabages and PSp.  10mm netting definitely didn't work for me.  I started by squishing them and treading on them but ended up with a bucket of water and dropping them in that.  Worked well as they obviosuly can't swim.

ps my forum has suddenly got massive text wise can anyone help me in how to reduce it back to what it was, thanks?

xx
Caterpillars

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 19:01
by muntjac
xx
Caterpillars already!

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 20:57
by Salmo
xx
Caterpillars

Started by Zinnia on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 27, 2012, 20:44
by angelavdavis
xx
first caterpillars

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:44
by goodegg

Page created in 0.775 seconds with 28 queries.