Ducklings advice needed

• 8 Replies

alanjack999

Ducklings advice needed
« on: August 13, 2009, 21:22 »
Hi.
We currently have three gorgeous ducklings who are currently eating chick crumbs but can someone please let me know when they should be moved onto growers pellets?

Also how do you tell if you have male or female ducks?  Finally at what age can they be allowed out overnight as they will be moving down to our allotment at some point but want to make sure they are ok overnight first.

Would appreciate any help.  I have tried to attach a photo of the gorgeous things but don't know if it will work.

Many thanks
Denise
Ducklings 001 (65).JPG
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 21:27 by alanjack999 »

darrena

• Experienced Member
Re: Ducklings advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:35 »
Hi,
I am just raising 2 welsh harlequin ducklings which are now 8 weeks old.
I feed them on crumb for way two long (7weeks) due to some poor advice. They should be moved on to growers at 3-4 week, maybe mix it with a little crumbs for the first few days.
I am still not sure if I have girls or boys at 8-9 weeks and I have been told that the only way you can tell is by their quack, signs at 5 weeks told me I have 1 of each, as one was peeping still and the other had a loud quack, although today the other has started to quack so who knows.
I dont think you can sure untill they are about 18-20 or laying eggs.

I moved my ducklings outside at 4 weeks during the day with netting over their pen to keep them safe from crows and then back in the garage at night but with no heat.
then after a week or two allowed them to sleep in their duck house.
They now put themselves to bad at night and are almost fully grown.

Are you ducklings pets or just for laying?

After some advice from Kate, we brought our ducks in every evening and they sat on ours laps for an hour, makes them much more friendly, they now hand feed and are much less spooked by us being around.

Hope this helps

Darren

annie10

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:26 »
i have 5 4week old runner ducks. 1 male and 4 female.
ive kept them in side and had them on my knee and used to my voice and they are so sweet.
ive had them outside for a few hours during the day and intend to keep them in a brick built 10*10ft outhouse int he next week or so if stll warm enough.
i think i'll put them in their new run when they start to feather up properly.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 13:53 »
Hi Denise.

Just to check, are you feeding them unmedicated crumbs ?  Any anticoccidiostats in their feed can make them unwell or kill them.
If you use duck crumbs or organic chick crumbs, I think you're ok. :)

Rob 8)

alanjack999

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 15:33 »
Thanks for all your help and advice.  Yes the duck crumbs are unmedicated (thankfully as didn't know this before!). 
At the moment the ducklings seem to be doing quite well the youngest one was two weeks old yesterday and enjoy going out in the garden during the day (they have a secure play area to keep the cats and birds away) and are happy munching on the chick crumbs - will start feeding them on the growers pellets next week. 
Although these ducks are pets we will be eating there eggs and when old enough they will be heading off for their life on our allotment although I think I will bring their duck house down to the garden so that for the first week or so when outside overnight they are here so we can keep an eye on them.
Hope eveyone else's ducklings are doing well.  Just one last quick question (probably a stupid one but never mind) do Campbell ducks fly? as I know some ducks fly and others don't.

Thanks
Denise

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 15:47 »
Mine don't manage more than a foot or two. What are your other two ducklings with the bibs, they are beautiful?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

alanjack999

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 23:15 »
Hi
All three ducklings should be Khaki Campbells as they all came from the same batch of eggs.  Would agree with you they are cute though.  Took them down the allotment tonight to meet the chickens and couldn't believe that the chickens did a runner as they were scared of the ducklings.  Will need to acclimitise them all before they go down there for good.
Denise

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 08:14 »
Not an expert as I have never hatched khaki Campbells but all the pics I have seen show them to be a pretty much uniform brown. Think you might have a bit of something else in there!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:18 by Aunt Sally »

alanjack999

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 11:19 »
Will have to see what the next batch look like.

xx
Advice on feeding ducklings needed please

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 17:32
by Sassy
xx
Ducklings and water, advice needed urgently

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 18:06
by Caralou
xx
Help urgently needed - rescued baby ducklings on the way

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2015, 19:08
by Helenaj
xx
What to do when ducklings hatch, advice please?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 17:59
by jamima

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 28 queries.