Carrot root fly

• 14 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Carrot root fly
« on: August 05, 2009, 22:10 »
I grew carrots in my garden for the first time this year. I thought I would not need to worry about root fly  since I am pretty sure that nobody else grows them around here but many of my carrots have been attacked.

A screen of spring onions has not stopped them so I am looking for another solution for next year. I have heard that a barrier of some certain height will discourage them. Can anyone comment on this and if true, tell me what height?

Ropster

Re: Carrot root fly
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 22:31 »
yes a barrier over 18 inches (24 to be safe will reduce the problem, or cover with fleece or enviromesh

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 23:16 »
yes 2ft should do it
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 00:03 »
Which is why some folk grow them in old bathtubs....just the right height.

I also thought this idea was brilliant...the enclosure in white plastic sheeting

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19243.msg234603#msg234603

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 05:42 »
I've used both vertical sheeting and enviromesh.

Vertical sheeting reduced the incidents by a lot, but with enviromesh, I've not got any. I also find it better for weeding as you can just throw it back and get in there.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 07:26 »
I agree with Dave  !

For two years I have used a 3 ft high enviromesh barrier and both years I have had root fly.  This year I have covered my carrots with enviromesh instead and so far no flies this year :D

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 08:16 »
I have a few just over 2 foot high straight sided buckets I've used this year - no fly, and at last............. straight carrots!!!!!  :)
For the latest on the BIG project, read my blog.

gillie

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:26 »
I believe that carrot fly lives on the roots of wild carrotty plants when there are no actual carrots about.  So unless you live in a weed free neighbourhood you are liable to get it!

Cheers,

Gillie

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 10:03 »
I have been attacked by carrot fly for the last 2-3 years.(not me personally, my carrots!) I went to the expence of buying enviromesh and put up a three foot barrier around the bed, and this year have had the best carrots ever with no carrot fly! The enviromesh lasts for years, and can also be washed in the washing machine if you are that way inclined! I know most people prefer to do things on the cheap, but for me it was a good investment.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 16:23 »
Thanks for the replies folks.
I will have to cost out the barrier solution before next year. Probably not economical in the short term.

On the other hand, when I tasted these I realised that I had not tasted real carrots for many years. My offspring also commented on the better flavour.

white-blazes

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 22:10 »
When I bought my veggie plants off a local nursery owner, he told me about carrot fly (all new to me) and suggested a spray of 'rose away' when weeding the carrots.  Not sure if it worked, haven't checked my carrots yet ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 22:23 »
Did you manage to find and use Rose Away?  I can't see it listed on the current pesticides database (though I could just be searching wrongly!!)

Just a general warning to everyone about pesticides - with a product name like that you'd need to check that it had been tested and licensed for use on edible crops, i.e.  guaranteed to be safe for consumption. 

And even if it is so licensed, you would need to be careful that you complied with the maximum number of applications per crop and time to be left after spraying before harvesting - both stated on the product label.  :)

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 22:24 »
If you are going to grow carrots,buy yourself some enviromesh,it lasts for years.
Just get some wire hoops or alkathene pipe and use it like a cloche.hold it down at the sides with some bits of wood.
I get three rows in mine and ive got two bits of enviromesh,one of the best £40 i ever spent on my allotment.

white-blazes

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 22:34 »
We got the spray, but haven't used it.  The nursery owner is in his late 70's and before moving up here about 20 years ago, he had a nursery in Bournemouth.  We've bought garden plants and shrubs off him for years, he certainly knows his plants, very knowledgeable man, so I just took his advice and bought the stuff, but not used it :nowink:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 22:42 »
Even if he knows his stuff about shrubs, I would still check the label out before using it on edible crops. It may not even still be a current pesticide.  Obviously I've never met the nursery owner but it sounds as though he might be of the generation of horticulturalists who sprayed anything going. 

I'm not organic but the one thing I will always buy organically is carrots because of a report I once read that they absorbed greater quantities of pesticides than other crops.  It may well now be a superseded report but I prefer that choice.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 22:50 by Yorkie »

xx
Carrot root fly

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 15:18
by NASH
xx
carrot root fly - what to do ?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 13:30
by Gardeningguru
xx
Carrot root fly

Started by Yabba on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 06:55
by Yabba
xx
Carrot root fly

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 17:44
by Togalosh

Page created in 0.866 seconds with 37 queries.