Pop-hole opening

• 8 Replies

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Pop-hole opening
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:24 »
What a great website, I only joined yesterday and already have had one question answered. What friendly, helpful people.  Perhaps someone could help me with another. I have had my chickens for only a few weeks but have a friend who has had chickens for years and she leaves the pop-hole to her house open all the time so that the hens can get up as early as they like. My partner thinks this might be a good idea if we ever go away, as the house has a fox proof run attached, and they won't have to wait till late to be let out. Logically the only thing I can think of that might be harmful is the draft in cold weather and a rat or mouse might somehow get into the run and into the house at night. Does anyone else do this? What do others think of this?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Pop-hole opening
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:27 »
I occasionally leave hte pop holes open during the long summer days, but always worry about rats getting in.  we aren't troubled by foxes at all around here.  But I don't do it during the winter, but we have left them open overnight if we've been down south to family.

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Pop-hole opening
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:38 »
Thanks, I think that would be the only time I would risk it - on the occasional summer night.

I totally agree with your organic comment.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Pop-hole opening
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 17:38 »
I like to keep my two hens locked in the dark(ish) eglu until about 7 a.m. in the summer.  I tried leaving it open last year for a while, only to be woken at 4 or 5 a.m. by shouting chooks  :roll:   I don't think my neighbours were impressed :shock:

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Pop-hole opening
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:17 »
Oh dear.  I'll bear that in mind, but I only want to do if if we go away for a night,  so hopefully the neighbours would bear with me in exchange for a couple of eggs.

psipower

Pop-hole opening
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 19:45 »
Hi Bagpuss.

Have you considered an electronic door-opener? About £80 I think, but the axt-electronics one from e.g. http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/door_opener.htm is well designed.

I am fairly new to chickens, and was concerned about such things as draughts etc. to begin with, but I found a guy at work who lives a few miles further along the wind-exposed top of the cotswold escarpment has some (not all, so it's not a house mite problem) chickens who like roosting outdoors all year regardless. So I stopped worrying! :)

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Pop-hole opening
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 08:07 »
thanks, that's reassuring.  I have thought about an electronic door, but wasn't sure how reliable they were, plus they are quite expensive. If I spend much more on the chickens they'll have a better house than us, especially the door as we have to kick our frontdoor to make it open.

purplebat

Pop-hole opening
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:55 »
Quote from: "Bagpuss"
especially the door as we have to kick our frontdoor to make it open.

I'd love to see the chickens do that  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Fat Hen

Oops never thought to shut them in!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 12:34 »
Hi i'm new to all this chicken keeping and have a lot to learn however my chickens live (temporarily) in a rabbit hutch.  I removed the mesh door completey so they have free access day andnight.  They are in a secure covered galvanised steel pen but free range during day.  We've not experienced any problems with this arrangement so far.  They seem to get up early (first light) potter around for a while and then go back to bed until I or my daughter lets the out when we have our breakfast.  Not sure what to do about winter though have considered moving theire "henhouse" into the greenhouse.  Living on west coast it gets awful drafty at times and wet to boot and there lies the main argument against the greenhouse idea as last winter it did a good impression of a box kite.

xx
opening hours?

Started by spud on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 12:30
by Beano
xx
Opening and shutting Hen Coop

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 10:39
by compostqueen
xx
Chick not opening its eyes

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 15:49
by ANHBUC
xx
Chick Eyes Not Opening

Started by matthew2riches on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 16:14
by Foxy

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 37 queries.