The laying itself

• 9 Replies

nzdunn

The laying itself
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:56 »
Ok my new girl cassie laid her first egg  yesterday whilst she was on her perch,  that must of been between 7-8am, still no sign of one in the coup this morning, can it be a bit all over the place when they start laying, i will check all the bushes later incase shes gone under there as shes just getting used to the wendy house.    Because she laid for the first time yesterday does that mean she should lay everyday approx or again does that take a while to kick in          nickyx
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:58 by nzdunn »

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: They laying itself
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:00 »
it will take a while to get to be a regular occurance and even then it may not be an egg every single day but the less they lay each yr the longer they will continue to lay. 
Could you keep her in where she needs to lay till later in the morning so that she can't lay elsewhere and gets the idea?
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

nzdunn

Re: The laying itself
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 10:05 »
thanks for the advice, no i carnt keep her in, the design of my wendy house really wouldnt be fair on her to leave her in all by herself, gonna go and get some golf balls i think.   nickyx

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:35 »
good idea!

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:06 »
Yes great idea! You can then go on a course and play a round while you are waiting for her to lay.

Don't worry the others will soon show her the way without you needing to intervene though don't expect her to drop into the routine right from the off.  If Cassie is the Rock you can expect an egg a day or at least 6 per week in summer and they are very reasonable winter layers too.  The pure breeds won't be so prolific.
Best wishes
Truth through science.

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:06 »
hahahah golf indeed :D, she is infact the first to lay so bless her she has noone to guide her, nothing yet , just had to close up the wendy house as all three of them were in there absoutley trashing it, the little madams, its raining so they thought they would have a game of trash the hen house instead :D :D :D :D   nickyx

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 14:40 »
Whatever you do don't do what I did.  I had a very realistic alabaster pot egg in the nestboxes.  When we went away on holiday my son in law looked after the chickens and I said he could sell the eggs to his work colleagues in our absence.  When we returned there was no sign of the pot egg.  It must have gone to one of his work mates through no one owned up to having boiled it for their breakfast!

If you use a golfball you'll probably get a few "birdies" and if you do mistake a golfball for your breakfrast egg make sure you "par" boil it.   Make sure you use the correct brand, I've heard that "TopFlites" and "Maxfli" tend to cause them to be a little flighty and that Nike are better, though they wonder why their eggs aren't ticked when they start to lay!

Regards

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 14:52 »
I think you best get your coat !!  :nowink: :lol:

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 16:24 »
The strait-jacket one.....white is very "in" this summer.......

nzdunn

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 17:54 »
 :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:very funny  nickyx

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
Why is only 1 laying?

Started by Laroos on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 20:27
by trinacooke

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 28 queries.