Chickens not laying - again

• 3 Replies

jeremyf

Chickens not laying - again
« on: July 31, 2009, 13:01 »

I know there are hundreds of references to "Chickens not Laying" when searching for advice but I have tried many things to no use. My chickens (4 of) are just over 12 months old (Warren hybrids of some sort) and they slowed down egg production over winter  from an almost guaranteed 3 or 4 eggs per day to practically zero. We have only had maybe 2 or 3 eggs a week from 4 birds for over 6 months now and the last few weeks none at all.

One thing I have noticed is that occasionally one hen looks a bit down for a few days and I'm half expecting a burial the next day to find they have perked up.

To my knowledge, they don’t have mites, they get wormed every 12 weeks about and an occasion spraying of lice powder (not that I have ever seen any), they are fed layers mash, are penned in most of the time but allowed to free range for a couple of hours 2 or 3 times a week.

Could it be the breed - maybe exhausted their egg supplies in 12 months? They seem happy in themselves. I have seen them in their nest boxes but after 10 mins or so I check for an egg and there is nothing there.

They did also go through a phase of laying shell less eggs but haven’t seen them do that for a while.

I am getting quite despondent about this and am starting to regret getting chickens so any help very much appreciated.

Jeremy

Vember

Re: Chickens not laying - again
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 17:45 »
Hi Jeremyf

Can I ask what type of wormer you use?
Also what they are fed including any treats?

Also my 12 month old birds are just starting to moult which has stopped them from laying :)

Sarah :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 18:08 »
I have a feeling it could be egg drop syndrome as there doesn't seem to be any illness and they have laid shell-less eggs previously and should be a peak production at a year old.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/52/egg-drop-syndrome-76

jeremyf

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 17:16 »
The chickens were bought from a supplier of eggs to waitrose and I buy the feed from them too and I automatically get feed with wormer already included when its time for their flock to be wormed - I think its every 12 weeks or so. Last year I gave them some corn mixed with their food (3/4 meal and 1/4 corn maybe). I stopped doing this in case it was causing the loss of eggs. I'd like to include it in their diet as I get it free. They dont get many treats but the occasional lettuce/ bag of salad leaves.

The egg drop syndrome looks interesting - have just been reading - They have all had various vaccinations so will ask next time if they included egg drop syndrome. Also EDS is around a 40% reduction in eggs whereas its not far off 100% for a few weeks now. Some EDS reports suggest egg production should be restored after moulting - how often does this occur. I must say I havent noticed my chickens moulting? I wonder if the infection is residing in their run - can i stearilize it somehow as relocation isn't possible. Many of the symptoms about the eggs do seem to tie up with my problems so I'll look into it further.

thanks for your replies

Jeremy

http://www.ruleworks.co.uk/poultry/Egg-Drop-Syndrome.htm
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/52/egg-drop-syndrome-76
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page15.htm

xx
Why are my chickens not laying

Started by bee on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 18:58
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
No chickens Laying

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 15:07
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Chickens not laying

Started by john p on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2007, 14:30
by muntjac
xx
Non laying chickens

Started by angeandjohn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 07:20
by zoggett

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 37 queries.