Should I spray against blight?

• 5 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Should I spray against blight?
« on: July 26, 2009, 12:36 »
I bought a pack of dithane a few days ago, thinking I would spray my outdoor tomatoes as a precaution, as I think it's only a matter of when, rather than if the blight will arrive. Trouble is, I can't bring myself to do it  :(  There is masses of fruit on the plants, much of it ripe or semi-ripe, and the instructions say not to harvest for 7 days after spraying. Don't know if I fancy harvesting it at all after spraying with noxious chemicals. I have made a number of excuses for not getting round to it, eg it's too windy, or the sun's too bright etc, but I just don't know if I should spray or not.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost them, I have plenty more in the greenhouse, but it would be a terrible shame, as there is an awful lot of fruit there to go to waste.

I could pick all the ripe/beginning to ripen fruit before spraying, and ripen it at home? Does anyone know how harmful it is to eat the sprayed fruit? Would it be ok after a good wash?
Rachael

Lardman

Re: Should I spray against blight?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 13:36 »
Id just spray them.

Blight will take no prisoners - you may not be able to eat them for a week but it beats the plant turning to mush before you've had anything.

I've noticed 2 plants with blight this morning - I fully expect to lose the lot (20ish plants) before I've had even 1 tom from them. I've been meaning to spay for a week but never got round to it..... too late now.  :(

gillie

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 13:43 »
"too late now"

Not necessarily, if you can hit the blight hard and fast.  The instructions on the Dithane pack says to spray tomatoes as soon as you see symptoms,  with potatoes you have to spray before you see symptoms.

I pick all ripe and nearly ripe fruit before I spray then leave them for a week before picking again.

Gillie

madcat

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 14:45 »
I'd go with that picking regime and spray.  Its heart breaking to lose them at any stage but particularly now :( , and it is perfect weather for blight :mad:.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

tode

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 15:30 »
I was told that if you spray with Bordeaux mixture (copper) you should be able to eat the tomatoes any time, since its only surface acting.
Do many use B Mixture?

gillie

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 17:09 »
Dithane is only surface acting as well.  There is no systemic fungicide available to amateurs.

Bordeaux mixture does indeed wash off easily - so you should re-apply it every time it rains!  It is a copper salt, which is every bit as harmful, if not more so, than dithane.

Gillie

xx
Blight and how often to spray...

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2013, 18:55
by Auntiemogs
xx
Organic Blight Spray

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 17:29
by PAH48
xx
Nematodes - Do you use them? Blight - Can I spray to protect?

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 21:17
by Nicki85
xx
Should I spray preventative my potatoes for blight?

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2024, 20:35
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 36 queries.