Blight and how often to spray...

• 10 Replies

Auntiemogs

Blight and how often to spray...
« on: June 20, 2013, 14:26 »
Hope you don't mind me asking what has probably been asked before (if only I could find it!)?  ::)

I've just received notification of a full Smith Period in my area (ME12).   :(

It's been raining on and off today so should I spray now or wait for a drier period and do I then have to keep spraying every ten days or so if there are no further warnings? 

Mags
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Blight and how often to spray...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 14:31 »
There is some info here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56717.msg668473#msg668473

To be found on the Growing FAQ board.

Hope this helps, at least to start.  :mellow:

I'm personally not familiar with spraying for blight as we tend not to suffer from it here.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 14:32 by arugula »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 14:52 »
Thanks Arugula  :), I just wasn't sure about the 'keep up the regime of spraying every 10 days until the danger is past' bit.

I just popped out and gave them a bit of a spray but not sure if 'danger is past' means that if there are no more warnings, 'stand down' unless you get another warning.  I guess it does, I just don't want to overspray as the instructions say I can only apply (Bayer Disease Control) up to 4 times...

Ema

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 00:28 »
I'm going to get a box of this over the weekend. Anyone know how many spud plants or m2 1 sachet treats? Would like to work it out so I know how much to buy coz I don't like to visit garden centres too often for obvious reasons...

Another 40 days and most of your spuds will be ready to harvest anyway.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 04:53 »
Thanks Arugula  :), I just wasn't sure about the 'keep up the regime of spraying every 10 days until the danger is past' bit.

I just popped out and gave them a bit of a spray but not sure if 'danger is past' means that if there are no more warnings, 'stand down' unless you get another warning.  I guess it does, I just don't want to overspray as the instructions say I can only apply (Bayer Disease Control) up to 4 times...

I think you should spray when you get notified of a Full Smith period.  Then every 10 days if you are continuing to receive the notifications.  This is what I am planning on doing anyway.  I sprayed last week when I got my first text message and if I receive another notification in the meantime, I will do so again 10 days after the first spray.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 07:51 »

I think you should spray when you get notified of a Full Smith period.  Then every 10 days if you are continuing to receive the notifications.  This is what I am planning on doing anyway.  I sprayed last week when I got my first text message and if I receive another notification in the meantime, I will do so again 10 days after the first spray.

I wouldn't spray simply because of one Full Smith Period notification, if only because the Bayer stuff is so expensive.  I would do it if blight had been detected say in the next county, but none has been notified yet.  I accept it is a risk thing and losing a whole crop is soul destroying and more expensive than the cost of the spray, but just saying I wouldn't act on 1 Full Smith Period alone.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:18 »
I endorse 110% what AnneB has just posted.

Given the current state of the blight maps I wouldn't dream of spraying yet.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:19 »
Thanks folks!  :)  Guess I'm getting a bit twitchy as I'm going away soon for a couple of weeks.  :nowink:

I'll leave some instructions for my friend who's guarding looking after the garden for me.   :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:37 »
Blight is usual where I am but I don't spray at all. If blight strikes I cut the potato foliage off. A laborious job but I can't stand the thought of chemical sprays on my spuds.  That's why I grow my own. If I wanted chemical laden veg I could go to the supermarket  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 18:50 »
We're not just talking spuds here.

If blight catches tomatoes - end of.  May just as well cut the foliage off, but there's nothing to rescue underneath!

In certain circumstances, it's spray or get nothing. At least I know what's gone on them, at the supermarket, you don't.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 18:55 »
Yup, that's what was worrying me DD.  Have loads of toms in atm and would hate to lose them while I'm away... :(.

xx
Should I spray against blight?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 17:09
by gillie
xx
Organic Blight Spray

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 17:29
by PAH48
xx
Should I spray preventative my potatoes for blight?

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2024, 20:35
by missmoneypenny
xx
Nematodes - Do you use them? Blight - Can I spray to protect?

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 21:17
by Nicki85

Page created in 0.57 seconds with 37 queries.