It Looks Like Blackleg

• 3 Replies

down the lane

It Looks Like Blackleg
« on: July 26, 2009, 08:32 »
Went to the plot yesterday to do the weekly weed and tidy up and noticed that my Kerr Pink Potatoes were dying. I instantly thought it was Blight but couldn't see any of the normal symptoms, all i could see was the base of the plants were black. I dug one plant and checked the tubers. All barr one seemed OK. The infected tuber looked like the skin was infected and when I cut it in two the inside was brown from the centre out as per this site http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/blackleg.htm.
I'm going back to the plot today to burn all traces of these plants. My one dilema is what to do with the healthy looking tubers that I dig Up Burn or keep? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first year growing veg.

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
Re: It Looks Like Blackleg
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:53 »
Hi

Sorry to hear this, I cant advise I am afraid as I wouldnt know.  I have had a search on the net for you and didnt find a website that said you can use the non affected tuburs.  The only thing I found was saying you must follow the following advice to ensure prevention:

Crop roatation, only use cerified tuburs, keep all gardening tools steralised, dont harvest or plant when the soil is wet, dont wash your harvested spuds before storage, dont store or plant damaged tuburs

unfortunately this is all rather late as it has happened. 

Personally (this may not be right though) I would harvest the spuds, burn any affected tuburs and plants and if there are any that are sound then I would allow them to dry out, check for any damage then store for eating.  I would dissenfect any tools used and use the ground next year for veg not in the potato family.

perhaps someone else will respond and advise if this is correct or provide better advice.

Good luck

OVP

down the lane

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:26 »
Many thanks Ourveggiepatch, Your advice sounds good to me, I'm heading down to the plot now to try and sort this mess out.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:50 »
The RHS has an advice page on blackleg

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profiles0902/potato_rot.asp
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Look out for blackleg

Started by dougsta on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 10:28
by vet
xx
Blackleg!!

Started by kiaweeze on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 23:28
by kiaweeze
xx
Blackleg

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 12:12
by Grubbypaws
question
Is this blackleg?

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2014, 22:40
by MickyB

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 37 queries.