broody chicken

• 12 Replies

Elcie

broody chicken
« on: July 25, 2009, 21:19 »
Is there a set length of time that a broody chicken goes on being broody for?  My Dip has been broody for two weeks now.  Just wondered if the end was in site!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: broody chicken
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 21:26 »
have read on here that some are broody for up to 6 weeks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 21:51 »
Hi,
It doesn't sound nice, but the trick seems to be act quickly; cool them down and keep them away from the others . We worried about this the first time but have now decided - put the poor individual in a bucket of cool water for a few minutes. In truth they don't object, perhaps grateful for the cooling. Cover the nesting area - then let them go  to join the others, but at dark keep them on their own. Sometimes one or sometimes two days and they are back to normal. The broodiness upsets them so often they need a 'cuddle' and it upsets the others hence the  (one of) the need to keep them apart overnight. Lots of TLC thriugh the period is good for you and them. HTH

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 22:32 »
Hi,
Depends on the room you have, the best thing to do is keep them in a cage (large dog or bird cage) with food and water, during the day so they can see the other chickens (depending on weather) until all they do is pace about, leave for one more day then put them back in with the rest (on a night time if you can).
The problem with leaving broodies with the rest of your flock depends on the breed, my cochins will send each other broody even without any eggs to sit on if I leave them.  :wub:
Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 20:33 »
Well she is still broody!  I have pretty much left her to it and it is 4 1/2 weeks since she started.  I think next time one of my hens go broody I will use the separation technique.  I was lucky enough to pick up a rabbit hutch on Freecycle that I plan to use for this purpose.  However, it would seem mean to do that to her now.

What do you think?  Is she so near to finishing being broody that I might as well just leave her to finish?  Actually, how do they finish being broody?  Do they just start acting normally again one day or is it a slow process back to normality?

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 20:47 »
My maran went broody not long ago (again!!), so after a couple of days of turfing her out of the nest box I put her into a little ark (with no access to the sleeping area) left her there for 1 day then let her join the others in the evening. This cured her  :D

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 20:58 »
Really Joyfull?  One day?!  OK, I have the rabbit hutch, with attached run it is very small but a chicken could fit in it without moving around too much which is similar to the crates I have seen some other chicken keepers use.  If I put her in the run of the rabbit hutch tomorrow in the morning, then put her back with the other hens at bed time this could cure her?

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 21:01 »
My Maran was broody for 6 weeks when I gave in and gave her fertile eggs to hatch out.  She is now a very nervous mum of three little chicks.  I hope this is the last time!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 21:09 »
That was all it took to get Brenda Lee out of it. I had to go out as it is quite distressing watching them pace up and down. When she joined the others I then closed off the nest box for the night just to make sure and the following day she was fine - although I kept a close eye on her just to make sure she didn't go back to sitting. If yours does then keep repeating it (must admit I was very surprised it cured her so quickly as she is an excellent broody and her last little ones are 10 weeks old). Good luck  :D

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 21:13 »
Right, I think I am going to go for it tomorrow.  Will need to go and collect the hutch from the plot (getting chickens there in Spring so put it there) in the morning and then Dip is going in there.  I think I will have to go out too though Joyfull!  I have tried to lock her out of the nest box but she paces up and down and it makes me sad - they are spoilt hens!  Thanks for the advice and I will let you know what happens.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 21:19 »
Dont forget her food and water, good luck and ignore her pacing  :D

Elcie

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 21:41 »
Dont forget her food and water, good luck and ignore her pacing  :D

Oh I am mad, I hadn't thought of that!  Will have to put it in bowls for her as the eglu grubs and glugs are in use by the other hens!

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 21:48 »
well good luck and keep me posted.

xx
how do you get a broody chicken to eat

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 12:02
by LittleRedHen
xx
Broody chicken

Started by matron on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 12:02
by upthetump
xx
broody chicken

Started by kelsgirlsx on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 10:57
by joyfull
xx
is my chicken broody or ill

Started by atwickwitch on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 10:41
by JamesFarmFood

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 30 queries.