Supporting tomatoes

• 13 Replies

matt80

Supporting tomatoes
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:20 »
Hi, I've grown outdoor tomatoes for two years now and both years I'm having problems from stopping them fall over. I've used a single cane and all is fine until they start putting on fruit, which causes them to topple over easily (especially in this windy weather  >:().

Wondered if anyone has any better suggestions for next year?

gillie

Re: Supporting tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:57 »
We constructed a sturdy wooden frame and then tied the canes to it.  Previously I have built cane wigwams - like runner bean wigwams but shorter, but they have tended to fall over in an autumn gale.

Cheers,

Gillie

shay

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:51 »
I managed to get hold of quite a few metal fence panels which are just the right size for the bed so build a support at either end and then the canes go down from the top, so if there is movement its about an inch.

You could always do as above with the wooden supports on each end and then bamboo canes going across the top so where the canes meet bond them together.

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:02 »
I recently watched a short American video on the construction a tomato "cage".  This was constructed with heavy guage wire netting shaped into a circle, which was anchored into the ground with a wooden stake.  The tomato was planted in the middle of this, so it did not fall over.  I would be interested if anyone has tried this.  I have about 3 bamboo stakes in some of my heavy tomato plants and they still want to lean over.  I must add that the gentleman in question made the job look really difficult.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:11 »
You do sometimes need fairly hefty supports. Some of my neighbours use bits of old bed and all sorts to make a frame and then string cheap washing line about, then tie the plants to that.
I just use whatever scrap wood I can find and still some plants flop over.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

devondave

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 14:05 »
I grew mine in tubs about 14" x 10"   to make sure the cane is not going to fall over this is what I did, cut a piece of  2"x 1" wood to the length of the inside of the tub then drill a hole (just off centre if you are only planting one tomato) so you have to force the cane into the hole, turn the tub over and screw through the bottom of the tub into the 2" x 1" piece of wood securing the wood in place, then drill some holes in the bottom of the tub for drainage.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 16:15 »
I have made an 'A' frame out of bamboo canes, similar to runner bean supports, but shorter (about 5') after seeing them grown like this in Spain last year. Have tied the stem to the canes every 6" or so. So far so good, none flopped over yet....
Rachael

wighty

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 20:25 »
I have a 'U' shaped frame for my mange toute in front of a grape vine. I did n't have room in  the greenhouse for three 'three inch' tomato plants so planted them inside the 'U'.  I now don't know what's tomato, vine or mangetout but each one seems to hold the other one up.  Getting difficult to walk down the path now.

Riala

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 20:27 »
The cylinder of chicken wire on a stake, is commonly used for upright cucumber growing in the good old U S of A, I should of thought of doing it for my tom's as I am having terrible trouble keeping mine upright!

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 23:39 »
I just go with the wind and leave them leant/fallen over.  Making sure none of the Toms are touching the ground.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 09:37 »
If you're going to grow tomatoes outside, why don't you grow a bush variety?
Martin

gillie

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:04 »
If you're going to grow tomatoes outside, why don't you grow a bush variety?

Because the fruit lies on the ground and gets eaten by slugs.

Gillie
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:06 by DD. »

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 20:37 »
Canes simply aren't strong enough unless you're talking 1-1/2" ones. I highly recommend slicing a 2x4x8 lengthwise in half so you get two 2x2's (much cheaper than single 2x2's) and cut an angle at the base for easier driving into the soil. I use one per plant and it does the job if properly sledged in. You can either tie the branches to the post or staple a circular wire mesh unit to the post with the plant inside the 'cage'.
I used to use heavier wire tomato cages but they tended to flop over easily as the base was the narrowest point and all the weight was at the top. They also fell apart quickly no matter how much I paid for them so I no longer use them except for delphiniums >:(

coatesi

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 22:45 »
I use the reinforcing mesh they use in concrete. Bent round into a cylinder about 600mm across and grow your toms in the middle.Self supporting. Great material for a permanant bean frame as well.
coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

xx
Supporting giant tomatoes

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 23:07
by gobs
xx
Supporting bush tomatoes in a planter?

Started by DanielCoffey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 18:05
by sunshineband
xx
Supporting trusses

Started by andyw on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 07:58
by andyw
xx
Supporting Calabrese

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 16:58
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 28 queries.