hen thats dosent lay

• 5 Replies

leared

hen thats dosent lay
« on: July 22, 2009, 14:30 »
hi all ive got a silver hamburg hen, she hasnt layed at all this year.  i put her up today and shes a lot heavey then my warrions. and undernefy her its quite hard and large, but she still eatting, drinking and still wonders a round. could she be egg bound. 

fergie

Re: hen thats dosent lay
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 23:45 »
If she is distended down beneath her legs she might have an egg yolk peritonitis going on...  I've recently lost a few hens to that.  It's good you are examining her and trying to figure this out.  The fact that she isn't laying is a red flag you should pay attention to...  there must be a reason she isn't laying.

My vet told me to give antibiotics until the swelling went away.  And since I had multiple hens with it, she suspected my feed wasn't meeting their nutritional needs.  So I switched feeds.  I'm giving antibiotics and calcium and vitamin d3 rich treats like cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 23:47 by fergie »

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:36 »
hi all ive got a silver hamburg hen, she hasnt layed at all this year.  i put her up today and shes a lot heavey then my warrions. and undernefy her its quite hard and large, but she still eatting, drinking and still wonders a round. could she be egg bound. 

What treats do you give your chucks?
Is she the boss?
Does she get more that her fair share of the food?

A FAT HEN NEVER LAYS.

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 14:02 »
Blimey a bold shout - good point though. Wish I could persuade my otherwise delightful neighbour of this when she is shoving loafs of bread through the fence - and then complaining cos the hens are trying to get through the wire to her side  :wacko:
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 14:05 »
.................shoving loafs of bread through the fence .....................

Tell her to STOP bread can and will (unless socked in water) cause compaction in the crop of a chicken and therefore giving the chicken sour crop a life threatening issue.
Do not give chickens bread unless soaked.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 14:08 »
Oh b***er! I hadn't picked up on that, it was the calories that worried me. I shall persuade her to desist.

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 28 queries.