Yet another egg-eating problem!

• 1 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Yet another egg-eating problem!
« on: July 19, 2009, 18:17 »
One of my girls has been laying soft shelled/membrane only eggs for a while now and either she or another of them started eating the yolks. I have now started supplementing their diet with Life-Guard added to their water (they already have Ex-Batts pellets, mixed corn, access to mixed grit & oyster shell and they free-range all day) and am finally getting slightly harder shells but the egg-eating pattern seems to have become established. Today all 6 gave me an egg each but 4 of them were broken open and the yolks gone. The first happened before I opened the house at 7am (I overslept!), then I rescued 1 laid a short while later and the rest I found when I returned home after going out for the morning, 1 was intact and the others squashed/pecked and devoured.

I've read up on other people's egg-eating problems on the forum and there seem to be differing reactions to the mustard or other hot stuff treatment. A friend has said the only way to stop the culprit is to send her to heaven but as I repatriated them from battery hell I'd like to give them more of a chance - besides, they're family!

Can anyone offer any help please? There's no room to incorporate a roll-away system.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Yet another egg-eating problem!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 18:22 »
Have you tried the mustard / chilli solution yet?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Chickens eating charcoal - problem?

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 22:48
by Raven81
xx
Egg eating

Started by mumbogill on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 18:04
by mumbogill
xx
Are they eating too much?

Started by viks chicks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 21:52
by Aunt Sally
xx
Egg eating

Started by swiftnicks on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 18:00
by argylepete

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 36 queries.