How's your peppers peeps?

• 35 Replies

cabbagehead

How's your peppers peeps?
« on: July 19, 2009, 12:22 »
I've grown peppers for some years usually with a good success. This year for some strange reason all the sweet peppers are much better than peivious years. However, ALL the hot chilli peppers are well behind. Some havn't even flowered or look like flowering. All grown in same greenhouse, watered, feed.......ect., at the same time. Never come across this before.

How are yours doing?
If all else fails read the instructions.

Lardman

Re: How's your peppers peeps?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 13:27 »
My chillis are well behind this year. Im just about getting flowers on the rocoto but the nagas are at best 8" and theres not a flower in sight.

I don't the the luxury of a greenhouse, but even in the last couple of years when things have been really damp and cold I've had peppers to pick this time of year. I'll be luck ti pick anything before the frost at his rate.  :(

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 14:24 »
Mine were put in a bit later than usual but they have caught up now and all 5 types are flowering and starting to fruit too.

They are in a greenhouse which has probably helped prevent them getting too cold in the recent bad weather.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 14:39 »
Never done peppers before so nothing to compare to but mine are only just starting to set fruit and not all of them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

FCG

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 14:52 »
Mine are gigantic! Pushing 2 foot high and they are a mass of flowers. F1 varieties however as my sole Naga chilli that survived is only 2/3 inches high and has 3 flowers. I'll be able to make so many chilli dishes i pity my tongue...

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 15:53 »
Have had some small peppers - tried 2 chillis about 2 inches long, indertiminate variety (green) but they were bitter and not very hot  :(

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 16:12 »
Mine are well behind - first flowers only showed up in the last week or so.

First sowing this year - nothing doing so after waiting about double the decent interval bunged in another lot.  Thanks to the big feller's robust sense of humour both sowings then showed up more or less the same time.  Given up trying to work out why - temperature wasn't that different. 

Having to buy the d*mned things!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 17:49 »
My chilli's are going red atm. Had loads of baby sweet peppers (red, orange & chocolate) and sweet banana peppers already. The former are just producing a second set of flowers so hopefully time for a second crop before it gets cold, the later we're already eating the second crop. My normal sized bell peppers are giant but still green. I should think they'll start turning colour in the next week or two.

FCG

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 18:14 »
Tam, Sweet Banana Peppers? Do they taste of Banana?

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 18:30 »
Tam, Sweet Banana Peppers? Do they taste of Banana?

Unfortunately not  :lol: They do start yellowy instead of green though so I suppose if you squint it's a bit like a bush full of hanging bananas.

FCG

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 19:02 »
I guess any monkey eating those bananas would be in for a terrible, terrible surprise :D

Was thinking about lemon drop style, must find some of those for next year.

When did everyone else plant theirs?

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 19:33 »
I wondered when is best to plant too, this is my first effort at peppers ive had a go at chillis before, some are doing better than others but nothings ready yet.  I was very late planting mine as we didnt have a greenhouse then when we built it i got in loads, im hoping next year to basically fill my greenhouse with chillis and peppers.

I have the banana chillis too - none on it yet though.

abraidwood

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 19:51 »
I started mine under lights indoors in Feb, so had a good head start, I have a cayenne and pepperoncini indoors but the rest went out in 7-10litre pots at the beginning of June.

The indoor ones started turning red this weekend.  Of the outdoor ones, the cayenne types have more than 10 fullsized green pods each & are 18-24" tall, the scotch bonnets are a little shorter (15-18") and have fewer smaller pods, and the rocotos are short (12-15") and sprawly (24"+ wide).  The first rocoto pod only set last week so they've a long way to go.

They were all growing like crazy in June, but they've not liked the cold, wet weather through July.. bring on August and some sunshine!!!

Oh & the best time to plant depends on if you have room to overwinter them - probably July/August is a little late, but if you have lights (and space indoors!) then starting in the middle of winter is fine :)

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 01:15 »
I think the expression for mine is naff. Normally they do very well, bumper crops even. This year they're barely growing due to the long cold spring and summer so far. They need heat and light, neither of which we've had much of. So far I have one teeny pepper and no flowers, just lots of very short pathetic plants.  >:(
Seems I'm not the only one having veg problems around here. Poor weather affects us all.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:17 »
hi, ive had ago at growing chillis this year ,only 1 plant though , i had one space left in my grow bag its only 12 inches tall ,it flowered a couple of weeks ago it now has lots of little green chillis on it!! it dosn't get any sun till about 1 ish and its outdoors!! :)

xx
peppers

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 09:23
by mumofstig
xx
peppers help please

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 18:52
by Sal1610
xx
Has anyone else got Peppers?

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 21:55
by Bombers
xx
Peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 21:09
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.542 seconds with 28 queries.