Pellets dilemma!

• 8 Replies

ycholmes

Pellets dilemma!
« on: July 17, 2009, 13:07 »
Hi, I am very new to keeping chickens.  We got 3 to keep in our garden 3 weeks ago.  3 lovely girls, 1 Rhode Ranger, 1 Sussex Ranger and 1 Black Pearl.  They have a coop with a run all in one for the night, and a large run in the day.  At first they were feeding well (on the same pellets that we got from the breeder) but now they don't seem to be eating many layers pellets (even with the Poulty Spice on them) .  I am worried that they are not eating enough.  The Sussex and Pearl seem ok, but the Rhodie who is so friendly goes beserk in the evening when we come home from work for her mixed corn or other scraps we have.  It appears she is desperate for the food.  What is going wrong?  What can I do?

poultrygeist

Re: Pellets dilemma!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 13:15 »
Hi ycholmes. Welcome  :)

Is their big run on grass and can they scratch about for worms, etc ?

They may be getting enough from ranging through the day but will always go mad for treats, even if they're full. Do their crops appear to be full ? It's slightly to the left on the front and should appear to be slightly bulging.

the other possibility is that one is being bullied away from the pellets and may find it less scary to wait for the treats/corn.

Is there anyone there during the day ?

Rob 8)

ycholmes

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 13:27 »
Hi Rob, thanks for the welcome.

Their run is on grass, full of clover.  I also hang up sometimes a head of cabbage for them to peck at. If any of them do the bullying, it is the Rhodie who appears to be the thinnest!  They all seem to get along great, I haven't noticed any bullying.  We are at work during the week, but I am off on a Friday, so they have us around Fri, Sat and Sun. I just thought from what I had read, that the chickens would eat almost all that was put in the feeder, and it just isn't happening.  They seem happy enough and the Sussex is maturing very well, with her comb and wattle growing well and reddening up a lot.  Does this mean she may well lay soon?

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 13:38 »
In general, if the feeder has more food than they need, and they have constant access to it, they will eat what they need.

They'll make occasional trips to the feeder, have a few pecks and wander off to range or perch. They should be eating approx 100-125g each but it's hard to gauge when they're eating other food.

Just before they lay, you should notice them crouching when you go near them. This is a response showing they're maturing and would normally be reserved for the cockerel, but you're taking that role from their point of view  :)

Rob 8)

ycholmes

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 13:43 »
Ooh, then the Sussex and the Rhodie are getting close.  Both do that, which I have to say makes life easier when I want to pick them up.
Oh well I will persevere with the pellets and hope they are getting enough. 
Thanks for the advice. 
YC.

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 14:05 »
Hi! I'm pretty new too with 3 girls in a similar set-up to yours. I've got 5 m2 of run which is moved every few days. I was so worried because mine weren't eating anything like enough layers pellets The OH said I was giving them too many extras so I cut right back. They still didn't eat enough pellets but were laying ok and I assumed they must be eating enough of the right stuff. Do you know....(MAD)...as well as giving them poultry spice in the dry pellets, I give them a mash of pellets mixed with hot water and add a little dried garlic, AVC and olive oil. This is done every 2 days So they have a choice!!! :wacko: Now they are eating a good 100+ gms a day, plus slugs/snails when I find any, grass,greens, and a handful of mixed wheat to fill up before bed. Oyster grit is available and they get digestive grit from their dirt bath and scratching up the grass.Seems to work........just waiting for Phyllis' eggs to harden.......

ycholmes

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 21:29 »
I am so excited, my little Rhodie layed her first egg this afternoon.  It is only small, but perfectly formed.  Having it for breakfast in the morning.  Will they always be small or will they get bigger?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 21:33 »
they will get bigger  :D Enjoy your first egg tomorrow.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nzdunn

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 22:34 »
congrats on your first egg,              nickyx

xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
Incubating dilemma!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 09:54
by poppies
xx
A dilemma, any advice please...

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 19:05
by pink-chicken
xx
eglu...hen dilemma

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 14:42
by JaK

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 29 queries.