very sad day

• 15 Replies

claredav

very sad day
« on: July 16, 2009, 19:03 »
hello everyone. i am new to this and need some advise.
We had 15 hens and over a few months they were stolen, they took 3 hens at a time.
On the last trip they took 3 hens an set fire to there coop with 1 hen in it, she servived although her feet and cone were burnt and she lost her wing feathers and was singed all over.

We moved her to the garden gave her a few weeks to recover and lots of TLC then gave her some friends, 5 rescue hens, all was well until  this morning.

We went to feed them and THEY HAD ALL GONE, a few feathers were in the door way to the coop (which we leave open), and that was all.
They have a 6 foot fence round them and a brook down one side.

can anyone tell me if this sounds like a fox attack or are the theifts back??? :(
also behind our house is an open field there were about 6 feathers and on the road was one of our hens that looked like it had been run over, the road is about 200yards from our garden

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 19:15 by claredav »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: very sad day
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 19:05 »
Sorry your first post is so sad Claredav, Ive popped it here in the HH for lots of answers
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

purplebat

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 21:42 »
Claredav, I'm so sorry! what an awful thing to happen! it doesn't sound like a fox to me, I could be wrong but I would have thought there'd be more evidence left behind.
Are they in a run? If so, has it got a gate/door that you could lock?
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 21:49 »
Hard to say but I would wonder about a fox. Mine got attacked in my garden which is surrounded by a 6' fence. Also the fact thet one was left on the road suggests to me that it wasn't a human predator as I can't imagine it would have got away.

I'm so sorry you have lost them all between  these events. I would be devastated.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 21:57 »
what an awful thing to happen, I am so very sorry! I have to say it sounds like a fox :( :(

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 22:03 »
A fox will kill everything in site and take one. Your predator sounds like the brainless human moron breed.

purplebat

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 22:05 »
Also the fact thet one was left on the road suggests to me that it wasn't a human predator as I can't imagine it would have got away.

I don't know Kate; you should see me trying to catch my new girls when they don't want to be caught!!!  :)

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 22:07 »
foxes don't necessarily act that way, we lost 3 hens over a week from one oportune fox grabbing and running, i think it's possible that all the hens have been taken by a fox over the period of time stated, especially if the coop is left open overnight.

there again, re reading the thread i don't think foxes carry lighters................
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 22:08 by TMG »

purplebat

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 22:10 »
there again, re reading the thread i don't think foxes carry lighters................

:D :D :tongue2:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 22:10 »
A fox will kill everything in site and take one. Your predator sounds like the brainless human moron breed.

Foxes will take all that they can. They will bury what they don't eat for later if they have the time. Foxes, contrary to popular belief do not kill for sport, they kill for food. They are evolutionarily trained to kill what they can in times of plenty to survive the thin times. When exposed to high density, easily killed, prey they end up in a killing frenzy that results in the carnage some of us have suffered from. It's their nature.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 22:12 »

Think she has been the victim of both 2 and 4 legged vermin sadly. The originals no doubt were humans but the laast could certainly be a fox. Could be wrong of course.

Sparkle

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 22:53 »
What a nightmare! So sorry to hear about your bad luck
I agree that this time it could be a mixture of the natural predator and the human idiot
Hope this doesnt put you right off keeping chucks
Sparks

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 23:06 »
Sounds to me like the 2 legged predator and they where not please that you replaced you chickens with ex-batts. 

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 23:23 »
thats so shocking - might there be anyone that objects to you keeping hens on the grounds of noise or vermin? is their coop and run near your house? some people would rather act with violence than talk about things in a reasonable manner

Our allotment site had vandals break in recently, they killed 30 hens by beating them with a metal pole.  Its so upsetting when you see such cruelty - as far as we can make out there was no reason - just something to do 

dizzylizzie

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03 »
O.M.G.... im so sorry you have lost all your girls. i havent got any chickens yet, so wouldnt dream of trying to guess what has happened to them. i just wanted to send ou hugs :)

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 37 queries.