Flies and chickens

• 10 Replies

battychicken

Flies and chickens
« on: July 15, 2009, 00:16 »
 Can anyone help a newbie?

I'm getting really cheesed off with flies in and around the run, my lovely girlies are not in the least bit worried, its just me. 
 I scrap and hose poo every day, i got rid of bark from the run (when i say 'the run' its more a  shelter now, as the girls own the garden and everything in it.  They have their eyes on the house but the cat has that look that says" if they come in here i'm defo leaving for good") any ways what else could i do ??

I have fly papers hanging round the garden (look fab  :tongue2:) I saw that citronella is good for stopping flies and midges and wondered if it was worth buying some oil and throwing round !! ( its in holland and barrett though so will need a bank loan first)

I did see a thread that mentions hemcore bedding and my dealer of all things pets does sell /stock this but need to get through the stuff i've got first. Also i would only use in the coop?

Do i just need to stop being so fussy??

The batty chick

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: Flies and chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:10 »
I have heard that lavender is good for keeping away flies.  :)

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

poppies

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:19 »
Hi we have started using the red top fly traps that work brilliantly,  but look and smell  awful, but  they dont have to be right near the cause of the flies so you could hide them away

but as michelle suggested lavender would be nicer

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:42 »
I've never been troubled with flies around the chicken run but I live in a suburban area.  I think if you live in a rural area there must be more flies around to be atracted in.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:57 »
I'm having the same problem, and the girls haven't even arrived yet.  Good job, or they'd be getting the blame. ::)

I was convinced that something had died of heat stroke in the garden, but the dog would have found them by now, so that can't be it.  I think because of the heat etc its just a really good year for flies.

I agree with Poppies re the red top traps.  Bought some in readiness for the girls arrival, but am using one now.  It really doesn't look good :tongue2:  But, is catching an incredible amount of flying crits.  Definately recommend them, but hang it where it's not in your direct sight line, pretty it's not. :(  Cheapest I could find was on ebay.  Each trap lasts about 12 weeks.

Also recommended to me, but not tried it yet, is a mix of lemon and eucalyptus oil.  Get the cheap oils and mix and dilute with water and put in one of those little sprayers.  Shake well before using and use like air freshener in the coop and round the run.

Another thing I was told was to put garlic powder/granuals in the hens water and that will greatly reduce the smell of their poo, which again will go someway to stop the fly attraction. 

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:03 »
Red tops are brilliant, we use them every year we find that one started in June will cover the season, don't forget to top it up with water every now and again and it will last a lot longer than the 12 weeks they say.
It should be positioned 5m away from the area you want keeping clear. They also work better in a sunny spot, but they do pong

With a little inginuity it's possible to make your own, use dried cat food or fish pellets as the starter protein.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 09:38 »

It should be positioned 5m away from the area you want keeping clear.

That would be next doors garden then - in any direction  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:40 »
Red tops are brilliant, we use them every year we find that one started in June will cover the season, don't forget to top it up with water every now and again and it will last a lot longer than the 12 weeks they say.
It should be positioned 5m away from the area you want keeping clear. They also work better in a sunny spot, but they do pong

With a little inginuity it's possible to make your own, use dried cat food or fish pellets as the starter protein.

Richy Rich
What do you do with them at the end?....... haven't got that far yet, and not liking the idea.
Probably get OH to deal with it, and put 'the remains' in the enclosed compost bin.  Will the thing ever stop buzzing!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 09:44 »
Funnily enough, we get a few flies in the house, but not many in the chicken areas.  Maybe a few hovering over poop, but I went down to the clean the big house out yesterday where the last lot of pullets had moved into the smaller end of the house, and it had sat there untouched for 3 weeks as I've been so busy elsewhere. but I think with Brian doing those louvre vents, there wasnt one fly in the house, the old poo and shavings were dry as anything and not one maggot to be seen.

I'm really pleased the new vents work a treat!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:09 by GrannieAnnie »

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:59 »

Richy Rich
What do you do with them at the end?....... haven't got that far yet, and not liking the idea.
Probably get OH to deal with it, and put 'the remains' in the enclosed compost bin.  Will the thing ever stop buzzing!!

They really ought to be double bagged and put into the rubbish bin to go to the tip, never open one to tip it out, I darent think what diseases would be in it, disentry etc etc  :blink:

It should be positioned 5m away from the area you want keeping clear.

That would be next doors garden then - in any direction  :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: even better  :lol: :lol:

battychicken

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 00:29 »
 Wow  thank you all

Just to recap

lavender(plants or oil) i'd guess oil but you never know??

Lemon and eucalyptus oil mixed with water in a spray

Red caps,  now these sound very simliar to something that i brought in the pound shop that i put ham and stuff in to attract flies in worked fab but the smell it made me ... well lets stop it there .. i got rid

I will try the garlic in the water also.

Aunt Sally i too live in surbia with good neighbours ;) (who don't clear up after their dogs which i'm sure isn't helping the situation!!

Thank you all so much again for your info,  i'm sure i'll have more questions soon.

And now to war ........

xx
Flies (?) on new chickens

Started by tode on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2016, 11:29
by Chickencoo
xx
FLIES!!!!

Started by tezlin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by Beano
question
Flies

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

82 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 22:05
by smiler43
xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 11:35
by joyfull

Page created in 0.56 seconds with 31 queries.