New allotment - where do we begin?

• 24 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment - where do we begin?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 19:15 »
There are many good points here.  However, for all those who are suggesting carpet, can I suggest you consider a different method of weed suppressant?

As carpet breaks down, it releases toxins from the chemicals used to dye / glue / manufacture / use it.  The fibres themselves do not always break down in the soil, polluting it further.

If it does not break down, weeds will grow through it, making it impossible to lift, or they will grow on top of it so it becomes underneath the top of the soil over time.

And it is an absolute nightmare to dispose of afterwards, whether by you or someone else who inherits the plot.

Please avoid carpet 
 :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Libby

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 21:20 »
I took over a plot in November which hadn't been used for some time.  The plot is 45 ft x 75 ft and every inch of it was couch grass, dandelions, dock etc.  I just started on a 10 x 10 ft square, turned it over and left it to the elements to break the soil down.  Once I had turned each section, I went back over each one and pulled out the couch grass until you could rake each plot smooth.  This gives you a really good chance of spotting weeds that start to come through and ripping them straight out.  I didn't apply any chemicals and the work was the toughest thing I have ever done but it was so very enjoyable.  As someone said earlier, enjoy it, you will appreciate the work you put in later on. At this point, I have been collecting fruit and veg for some months and have one last bed to dig.  I do agree about the carpet, our allotment committee have just asked everyone to remove any carpet they have and it is a nightmare to know what to do with it.

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 21:46 »
I'm clearing a new allotment at the moment, which is COVERED in nettles, brambles, something undistinguished which stings and and has little things that stick to my clothes.

My method has been to roughly clear it a small section at a time.  Like the above poster, when I have done that I will work on smaller sections and really really weed it.

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 22:41 »
I'm a novice, but I discovered the 'always been there' chaps snigger at strimming!
Get stuck in with hard graft tools, clear a patch, get something growing, then clear the rest!
Two or three days well earned drinkies and tiredness well worth it! :tongue2:

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 13:20 »
This brings it all back,the days of backbreaking donkey work,digging out the twitch square by square,the giant pile of weeds in the middle of the allotment.
I never really got on top of it till i weedkilled the lot,then dug it over completely,even took the paving flags up in the middle and dug the weeds out of that.
the best things i did was to realise that on my very weedy plot a lot of little beds just encourage weeds to grow,so now its one big bed,and weedkiller is useful round the sides of the garden.
But the best thing is my petrol strimmer that keeps it tidy better and quicker than out else.
By the way im still fighting a battle with weeds and probably always will be  :tongue2:

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 21:11 »
Most important point when taking over rubbish plot: give yourself a regular pat on the back for every plant you get to grow, every sq m you get clear...  there will be times you doubt you'll ever get it all clear and useful -- but you will! so always be positive about what you've done, not negative about what you still have to do!

taken us 2.5 years to get ours completely clear (using rotatavation, carpet (boo hiss.... but it's free, and going to rot in landfill anyway) and lots of hoeing). but now it's looking great. and we get kudos from the old guys for  not doing raised beds and from our fellow ex-urban-right-ons for not weedkilling....

get a good hoe - it will become your best friend!

bisgedyn

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 12:24 »
We slashed weeds by hand, then dug up the big 'uns.
But - if I were in that situation again I would try sheet mulching using cardboard - organic method where you slash weeds and layer cardboard and compost/manure. You can leave the slashed weeds in situ to compost down under the cardboard. Just scavange a load of boxes.

Humbledoor

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 21:07 »
weed control fabric

Hi again,

Sorry I have not been back, busy digging — and digging — and digging lol. Allotment now clear with just the turf to get rid of, hard work, but worth it, spud lates are doing well with a good crop of runner beans.
Anyway, enough of my drivel, can someone please advise as to the best weed control fabric to use. After all this hard work it would be nice not to have to do too much again, aware that weeds will take some dealing with but do not like using chemicals (my choice), presently using old carpet (also aware that leaving carpet down for too long can present further problems) but would like to use fabric for a raised strawberry bed!

Any advise gratefully received ::) happy digging all :wacko:

noshed

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 22:32 »
Cardboard is probably the cheapest, and it rots down. The trouble with plastic is that every snail and slug in the county sets up home under it.
Personally I think that a good few inches of  home made compost or rotted manure is the bees knees.
By spring most of it will have been through a worm
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 18:07 »
Noshed's suggestions are really good.

If you want a more substantial covering, the woven stuff is the best to go for.  It lasts a long time if you get the better stuff, and can be re-used.  Plastic prevents water and air from getting to the soil, which isn't ideal.  And carpet has a lot of problems - chemicals leach into the soil, it breaks down, weeds grow through it etc etc.

xx
How to begin?

Started by Nedski on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2014, 19:05
by mumofstig
xx
Where to begin?

Started by Jetsmaw on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 16:59
by Goosegirl
xx
Where do I begin?

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 11:26
by chris23005
xx
oh gosh, where do i begin!

Started by saffronkitten on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 14:00
by Elcie

Page created in 0.567 seconds with 29 queries.