Chicken sorrow

• 17 Replies

Mucha

Chicken sorrow
« on: April 18, 2007, 22:50 »
Hi,

We are new to this forum and to chicken keeping so please bear with us.  We live in North london and have had 3 hens and a cockerel since mid Feb.

That was until 2 two weeks ago. when Mr Sly fox attacked and killed one of our hens (right in front of our eyes and was just about to go for the other)... so naturally. we let the dog out to see off the fox. But you guessed it! Instead the dog thought it was killing time and attacked and killed our pride and joy Mr M (Majestic) The Rhodes Red cockerel instead of the fox as intended.

"Messy Matilda" (Sussex star) was the sole survivor. We have replaced the cockerel (Mr M "Majestic") with a Brahma cockerel (18 months old)and also introduced a 6 month old Brahma hen.. Messy is an independent chicken and will not accept Mr Brahma even though he continously favours her over the brahma hen.

Mr Sly Fox now waits in prey and has visited in broad daylight. And wont take shouting at him or stones As I write, my other half is outside double securing the chicken run. The advice we are looking for is as follows: Matilda now wants nothing more than being in our conservatory (thats where we kept her after the fox carnage and she appears to feel safe) she pecks at the occasional chicken feed but loves to eat from our dogs bowl and since she been doing that she has been having such a watery runny tummy.

"Messy" also tips the dog's water bowl over and clucks as she stands in front of the dogs cage proudly rosey. We think the dog food is whats giving her a runny tummy cos she is given the usual chicken feed like the other two whose dropping are ok....she also hasnt laid an egg for three days and the brahma cockerel really "does it to her" more than he does to his own breed .. Is Messy ill, unhappy and maybe given too much attention from us and the brahma cockerel?
Mucha

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken sorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:48 »
Welcome to the forum Mucha  :D

You have had a sorry time haven't you  :cry:

Chicken psychology - not easy to understand.  Messy sounds very 'put out'.  I would certainly stop her eating the dog's food, it's far too high in protein, fat and salt for a hen  :!:   Make sure she has plenty of 'chicken feed' and lots of fresh greens, hang them up so that she has to reach for them, that should keep her occupied and more contented.

Why do you have a cockerel by the way  :?:  I would have thought that with only a few birds you would only want hens and so get more eggs.  I'm sure you know you don't need a cockerel to make eggs :wink: I think you should keep him away from Messy, she probably feels very bullied, poor thing.  She'll settle down I'm sure.  Introducing new birds is always a litte traumatic for them.  I'm  not suppried she wants to get away to somewhere 'safe'  :!:

Once a fox knows where it can get a free meal it will keep returning, even in daylight hours while, as now, there are cubs to feed :evil: We have a local fox who lurks about our gardens, so for my peace of mind I installed a FoxWatch, this is where I got mine FoxWatch  It's a sonic device triggered by foxy which emits a sound, tuned to their hearing that they don't like.  A friend of mine who has a dog says it does not affect it at all.  It's not cheap but definitly cheaper than replacing your pet birds  :evil:

Good luck, let us know how she gets on  :D

purplebat

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:38 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Why do you have a cockerel by the way  :?:  I would have thought that with only a few birds you would only want hens and so get more eggs.  I'm sure you know you don't need a cockerel to make eggs :wink: I think you should keep him away from Messy, she probably feels very bullied, poor thing.  She'll settle down I'm sure.  Introducing new birds is always a litte traumatic for them.  I'm  not suppried she wants to get away to somewhere 'safe'  :!:

the problem with cockerels is it all depends on who you speak to, some people are absolutely adamant that you need a cockerel to get more eggs, this is why I took a cockerel, and ended up with that horrible situation, but I will say that since the cockerels gone I have had more eggs than ever, (well until some-one started thieving them that is!) so I think I proved the point to myself, and the hens have been more content on their own, but some people will nto accept it
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken sorrow
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:29 »
Your absolutly right in my opiniom PB. My two hens have laid over 700 eggs between them in 15 months, that's about 5-6 each per week over the whole period including the dark winter months.  

If you have a large flock a few cockerels will keep them herded together but unless you get your hen to cockerel ratio right (Munty would tell us that) the poor hen birds suffer, getting 'trodden' on all the time, and can be put off of laying rather than anything else  :(   I suspect that is what is happening to Messy  :!:

Mucha

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 23:27 »
Thanks for the advice much appreciated. Reason we have a cockerel is that we thought maybe naively that it would be good company for the hens. We are now considering adding more hens. Is there a guide line for the correct ratio of hens to the cockerel :?:

Meanwhile we are trying to keep Messy away from the cockerel and we've replaced the dog food with chicken feed in the conservatory for when she visits :!:

We are also considering an electric fence any thoughts on this :?:

Any comments most welcome :!:

Mucha

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken sorrow
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:46 »
I've been looking for the recommended ratio for cock to hen unsuccessfully I'm afraid.  I'll keep looking  :)

Mucha

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 08:40 »
Thanks Aunt Sally.

purplebat

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:08 »
I think I can vaguely remember Munty saying one cockerel to about 8 hens; but I could be wrong (I quite often am  :lol: )

garyansell

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 21:25 »
Hi Mucha, Could I offer you a sugestion on how to deter Mr Fox, On our allotment site six of us keep chickens and five lots have had a visit from our Mr Fox. The only thing I have done that the others didn't do, was to hang human hair in ladies tights around the run and collect my wee for two days and pour it around the whole enclosure. sounds crazy but it has worked for me, its either that or the other chickens are tastier!!!! Good luck and all the best. Gary.  :)
Gazza the grumpy, stumpy sumpy.

Mucha

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 14:05 »
Quote from: "purplebat"
I think I can vaguely remember Munty saying one cockerel to about 8 hens; but I could be wrong (I quite often am  :lol: )

Thanks purplebat we will definitely be adding some more hens to our flock! and by the way who is Munty?  :D

Mucha & Grant

Mucha

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 14:14 »
Quote from: "garyansell"
Hi Mucha, Could I offer you a sugestion on how to deter Mr Fox, On our allotment site six of us keep chickens and five lots have had a visit from our Mr Fox. The only thing I have done that the others didn't do, was to hang human hair in ladies tights around the run and collect my wee for two days and pour it around the whole enclosure. sounds crazy but it has worked for me, its either that or the other chickens are tastier!!!! Good luck and all the best. Gary.  :)

Thanks for the tips Gary :!:  Will try the human hair.... would never have thought of that :!:  Grant says that the first stage of the pee maneouvre is to drink lots of beer first, so I am still waiting for the outcome on that one :!:

Mucha & Grant

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Chicken sorrow
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 14:24 »
And Munty is our foremost knowledgeable person on here, about almost anything, especially poultry, but he is having puter problems at the moment.

But when he does get back online, there aren't many questions he can't answer!! Whether its about poultry, or growing, or composting, or killing cooking and eating!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken sorrow
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 17:40 »
His user name is muntjac if you want to do a quick search for his pearls of wisdom  :lol:

garyansell

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 21:18 »
Mucha,
          Just got back from the allotment after checking the chickens, still no sign of forced entry. However, my fellow allotmenteer opposite my plot had another visit from Mr Fox last night, luckily no chickens taken as their coop is like Fort Knox but he did burrow under and into the run. My chickens are less than 50 ft away from theirs but were left untouched. So I'm going to patent my idea and sell my hair (if only I had some) Good luck. Gary  :wink:

Mucha

Chicken sorrow
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 23:08 »
Quote from: "garyansell"
Mucha,
          Just got back from the allotment after checking the chickens, still no sign of forced entry. However, my fellow allotmenteer opposite my plot had another visit from Mr Fox last night, luckily no chickens taken as their coop is like Fort Knox but he did burrow under and into the run. My chickens are less than 50 ft away from theirs but were left untouched. So I'm going to patent my idea and sell my hair (if only I had some) Good luck. Gary  :wink:

Hey Gary,
Sorry been away and left the chooks with son who altimately would prefer our dog to the chickens.  They are all doing well. mr Fox has had a couple o attempted visits. Dont know but wish to believe you are right as all is well.
Respect.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
What will a chicken NOT eat?

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 13:39
by Pertelotte
xx
Chicken in a box

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 15:24
by 8doubles
xx
chicken poo

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 10:49
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.632 seconds with 30 queries.