Cardboard as a mulch

• 6 Replies

green_fingered_ash

Cardboard as a mulch
« on: July 11, 2009, 21:20 »
Does a multilayered layer of mulch distribute rain fall evenly? i have put down cardboard on my lawn to allow the death of all the germinating weed seeds (there are plenty) and pools of water gather in places, so im wondering if i mulched plants at an allotment would it negatively affect the plants even by preventing weeds from growing, or will the water seep through the cardboard resulting in an even moisture level in the soil?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cardboard as a mulch
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 21:31 »
One of the purposes of a mulch is to help moisture retention by preventing evaporation, so the ground should always be moist before you add a mulch.

That being said, most mulches are permeable to one extent or another so will let varying degrees of water through.

I don't use mulches myself but I would hazard a guess that light rainfall is likely to be blocked by a mulch, but anything much heavier would get through cardboard one way or another.

Would happily bow to others' experience tho'  ::)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

beansticks

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 21:31 »
Not sure how evenly the rain would filter through,however if the cardboard on your lawn is to kill weeds,it will also kill your grass.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 21:38 »
I would wet thoroughly under and on the cardboard if used as a lotty mulch, but to be honest I wouldnt use cardboard for small areas.  It works great for killing weeds and then let it rot for next season
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Spana

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 21:41 »
Are you going to get rid of the lawn and make a veg patch :unsure:

I have a patch about 3mtrs x3mtrs in my veg garden that I'm clearing of weeds by putting down news papers- full thickness-  first then putting all our grass mowing's on top of them.  I'm hoping that by winter all the weeds will be dead and the whole lot can be dug in.  
I think your cardboard will need a good soak to get it wet then the rain will go through.  How are you holding it down and for what purpose

green_fingered_ash

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 22:41 »
i intended to kill the remaining weeds/germinating weeds and grass, my previous lawn was infused with so many weeds it wasnt even worthy of being called a lawn.

Also if i was to dig over a patch of soil in the autumn which would result in a lumpy uneven (not friable) soil, could i cover it with cardboard mulch and the freezing and thawning still result in friable soil?

im assuming the mulch will keep enough moisture that has travelled through the cardboard from a heavy rain until the next rainfall whilst me supplementing watering it should be fine.

Spana

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 10:55 »
If you want everything under the cardboard to die does it matter if its dry.

xx
cardboard mulch

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 09:31
by Teabag
xx
Cardboard

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 10:11
by compostqueen
question
Cardboard uses??

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 18:24
by sunshineband
xx
cardboard and more cardboard

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 20:13
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 1.205 seconds with 28 queries.