Pumpkin control.

• 12 Replies

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Pumpkin control.
« on: July 09, 2009, 21:55 »
I've got 4 pumpkin plants growing in a raised bed 12x4ft and they are getting too big. I think they would be better if they were pruned back a bit. Anyone know how to that?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pumpkin control.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 22:25 »
They say plant about a metre apart so you've not got too many in the bed. I would just let them run all over the bed until you can see what fruit is setting, i wouldn't be too keen to start pruning already, cos you might prune away the flowers you need for pollination. Once you have a few set on each plant, that's when i would start pruning.
Just my way...see what other say :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 22:33 »
They say plant about a metre apart so you've not got too many in the bed. I would just let them run all over the bed until you can see what fruit is setting, i wouldn't be too keen to start pruning already, cos you might prune away the flowers you need for pollination. Once you have a few set on each plant, that's when i would start pruning.
Just my way...see what other say :D

I agree with you!! Once the fruit begin to appear take a sharp knife and chop off the odd few rampant stems well beyond the fruit - or where fruit has yet to form. Only trouble is this will encourage side shooting so it'll have to be repeated to keep the plant trim - best of luck!!  ::)

You might try growing some of the plant upwards onto a frame to increase growing space??
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 23:19 »
The other thing to do is train them round in circles to keep them in the bed and hopefully avoid each other.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 13:00 »
Mine are escaping the beds and making a bid for freedom  :lol: :lol: Quite a few pumpkins and squashes coming along though  :D

Except for that D*** butternut of course  :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

madcat

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 13:47 »
Couldnt fathom one of my pumpkins ....  bit weedly and funny leaves.  Finally got to looking at it properly ...

:ohmy:

its a cucumber!  What idiot got the labels mixed up?  Me of course!   :blush:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 18:29 »
Thanks for those replies. I'll be chopping bits off, shortly. (Forgive the pun)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 18:33 »
mine were taking over the raised beds, then the garden ,now the world! sorry not much help, other than to know your not the only one with killer pumpkins he he he

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 18:55 »
i grew my sqaush in a coldframey-sort of thing. Unfortunately, i went away for a week, and things have got a bit out of control:

The plus side is that the vine is really rampant and there are loads of miniature squash. The down side is that i can't get the lid back on :o

Should I try to limit the number of squash growing (i think there are probably getting on for 10 now, although it's hard to tell looking into in the jungle house!) ?

Also, should I prune off some of the leaves so that I can put the lid back on? (I had been leaving it propped open for the insects and the pollenation, but i guess taking it off totally will limit the usefulness of the coldframe)

Cheers

Deucecoup

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 18:56 »
My pumpkins are just sitting there doing nothing :(

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 19:49 »
well just few says ago i cut the ends of my pumpkins and they dont have seemed to grow mine have gone massive so try this
might help :happy:

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 21:12 »
i grew my sqaush in a coldframey-sort of thing. Unfortunately, i went away for a week, and things have got a bit out of control:

The plus side is that the vine is really rampant and there are loads of miniature squash. The down side is that i can't get the lid back on :o

Should I try to limit the number of squash growing (i think there are probably getting on for 10 now, although it's hard to tell looking into in the jungle house!) ?

Also, should I prune off some of the leaves so that I can put the lid back on? (I had been leaving it propped open for the insects and the pollenation, but i guess taking it off totally will limit the usefulness of the coldframe)

Cheers

I think your squash should be tested for anabolic's  :D,
It's my first year growing and I have one pumpkin and three butternut squashes growing between my sweetcorn.
          I too am surprised every time I go to the plot to see how quickly they've (especially the pumpkin) have grown overnight. My pumpkin variety is a New England Pie, the fruit are fairly small apparently but the growth of the foliage is getting huge. Heaven knows what would have happened if I'd planted a large variety.   :ohmy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 10:41 »
I would not put the lid back on again - leave it off for some ventialtion or you might risk increased humidity and chance of some rotten fungal spore developing on the leaves / stem / fruit.

xx
Pumpkin vines dying but pumpkin still green.

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 22:07
by rubyrose
xx
weed control

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 13:50
by m1ckz
clip
pest control described

Started by shedmeister on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 21:09
by Yorkie
xx
Weed control

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 11:45
by greenthing

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 30 queries.