POTATOES

• 13 Replies

DadBear

• Experienced Member
POTATOES
« on: April 17, 2007, 20:19 »
Now that me earlies have come through do i cover them with earth totally or just up to the leaves ?? silly question i'm sure but i've never had a go at the tatties before......thnx DB :D  :D
trying to be organic....

WG.

POTATOES
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 20:23 »
Cover them - frosts are forecast for the end of the week.

cozzcov

POTATOES
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 20:26 »
You should earth up to cover the shoots - protects against any late frosts.  Keep earthing up until about 9inches above ground level.  Then keep an eye out for any spuds popping through and make sure these are covered up too, stops them from going green and poisonous.

purplebat

POTATOES
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:44 »
have I got this right? you're potatoes have finally found daylight and then you bury them again? do they have to be a certain size before you do this or do you do it as soon as you see shoots? this is a funny old game this growing lark! :lol:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

WG.

POTATOES
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 10:50 »
Quote from: "purplebat"
have I got this right? you're potatoes have finally found daylight and then you bury them again? do they have to be a certain size before you do this or do you do it as soon as you see shoots? this is a funny old game this growing lark! :lol:
Correct.  It saves them from frost AND encourages them to put out more roots.  More roots = more tatties

hermon

POTATOES
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:55 »
i'm sure they are the only plant i know that still survives when you bury the greenery, ditermind lttle things aren't they!

hermon

POTATOES
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 11:00 »
me again, i have layed a layer of manure(rotted) over my spuds can i earth up with that or is plain soil best as i suspect the manure next to the tattys would rot them? or at least give them a nasty taste!!

WG.

POTATOES
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 11:01 »
Manure won't rot them once they are underway.  It'll do them the world of good.   Any spare comfrey you have; wilt it & do the same thing.

splodger

POTATOES
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 15:09 »
i have just covered up my first earlies that are sprouting - i use a soft compost (that i get from the council recycling centre - £5 per cubic metre... great value)

it's black, soft, warm and very nutritious - i hope my spuds will love it.

i have kept a load back - so that i can earth up from the trenches and cover with the good stuff at the same time.

i was tempted to try spuds under black poly this year - but couldn't find enough in time - might try it for my Christmas new spuds later on.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
POTATOES
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 15:27 »
They def are hermon, but did you also know (slightley off subject) that sweetcorn is the only plant to grow at night?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

purplebat

POTATOES
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 16:26 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
They def are hermon, but did you also know (slightley off subject) that sweetcorn is the only plant to grow at night?

you learn summat new every day round here!

DadBear

• Experienced Member
POTATOES
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 19:21 »
Quote from: "splodger"
i have just covered up my first earlies that are sprouting - i use a soft compost (that i get from the council recycling centre - £5 per cubic metre... great value)

it's black, soft, warm and very nutritious - i hope my spuds will love it.

i have kept a load back - so that i can earth up from the trenches and cover with the good stuff at the same time.

i was tempted to try spuds under black poly this year - but couldn't find enough in time - might try it for my Christmas new spuds later on.

Brilliant advice that, my tip sells stuff called soil conditioner for a quid a bag... lovely dark stuff, i'll cover the tatties up...thanks folks, crscking advice as usual....its beautiful spring weather here in worcs, hopefully no frosts!!!! regards, DB

sclarke624

POTATOES
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 14:14 »
My early tatties are going mad..........I have them mostly in compost bags.  Didn't realise how much compost they need for keep earthing up though, I'll end up using a couple of bags on them at this rate unless I am doing it wrong.  Think I read somewhere you stop keep earthing up in compost bags when the Hallum is 9 inches high don't know if thats right or not.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
POTATOES
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 17:51 »
Newspaper collars put round the shoots before you earth them up also helps with a) light exclusion and b) moisture retention  :wink:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes

Started by Amanda546 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 19:52
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 30 queries.