Runner beans in shade

• 10 Replies

Beetroot queen

Runner beans in shade
« on: July 07, 2009, 16:42 »
My temporary frame for the beans has now been over shadowed by the council hedge which they refuse to cut (another story that one) will it make any difference to the growth of the beans as everyone seems to have them in full sun. :wacko:

We have a second A frame now with later beans on, but I was hoping for a constant supply as we love runner beans  :unsure:

Goosegirl

Re: Runner beans in shade
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 17:20 »
When I made my six raised beds over a three year span, the first one was planted with a few things including runner beans and they were in the shade until after lunchtime. However, though there was a problem with pollination (not due to the shade I think), I still had beans, so talk to them and they should reward you. Is there shade there all day or do you get some sun?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 17:24 »
They get sun until about 11 thats all  ::)

The council will look into the problem for next year

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 17:49 »

I'm sure if your hedge was overhanging a footpath and causing an obstruction they would be knocking on your door to correct the situation.....within 14 days
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 17:58 by barney rubble »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:38 »

I'm sure if your hedge was overhanging a footpath and causing an obstruction they would be knocking on your door to correct the situation.....within 14 days

Well its overhanging the lotty path blocking our way down to the plot, but apparently thats allowed, the fact my daughter ended up with a branch smacking her in the face doesnt seem to bother them either. ::)

mumsy

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 20:05 »
My beans are in the shade all day :( :( Thanks to the neighbours trees :( :(

I still get a good crop albeit later in the season  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 20:13 »
No matter where i plant them in my garden, the beans only ever get afternoon sun and they give lovely crops. The hedge sounds more of a problem to people than it is to the beans :ohmy:

penance

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 20:14 »

Well its overhanging the lotty path blocking our way down to the plot, but apparently thats allowed, the fact my daughter ended up with a branch smacking her in the face doesnt seem to bother them either. ::)

Threaten them with an injury claim.

bonfire

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 20:55 »
No point in complaining about paying too much in Council tax and then sabre rattling about making lawyers rich with an injury claim. People walk into branches and live - ws it that bad ?
Is there a good reason why you can't cut either of the hedges yourself ?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:51 »
We are not allowed to cut the hedge for health and safety reason says the council man, its their hedge and although we would happily prune it for them they say no way. we have been asking for ages for it to be dealt with and finally a council rep came this week and declared we have nesting birds so it cant and wont be done until they all move, the one large branch I am talking about is clearly visable and has no nests at all.

:mad:

Gardeningguru

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 08:06 »
We are not allowed to cut the hedge for health and safety reason says the council man, its their hedge and although we would happily prune it for them they say no way. we have been asking for ages for it to be dealt with and finally a council rep came this week and declared we have nesting birds so it cant and wont be done until they all move, the one large branch I am talking about is clearly visable and has no nests at all.

:mad:

I would probably just be tempted to trim it back anyway.  It is not like they are going to notice, or perhaps even care.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans / kiddney beans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.597 seconds with 30 queries.