rhubarb planting?

• 12 Replies

poppie

rhubarb planting?
« on: July 03, 2009, 12:11 »
does anyone know when is the best time to plant rhubarb?
is it better to plant corms or seeds?

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: rhubarb planting?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 12:29 »
If you are planting rhubarb crowns - early spring is usually the best time, as some people practice digging them up and storing them over the winter months (I never have tho). If they are mature crowns, at least a couple of years old, you can crop them lightly the same year, and then get a better crop in subsequent years. 

Planting seed is also done from early spring up until now really (i'm still going strong on planting them at the moment, and they're really happy in this hot weather). Some varieties say you can crop lightly the following year, but waiting a bit longer will give the crowns more time to develop to give a better yield. So with seeds there's a longer wait for your efforts (three years)

Which ever route you go, you'll need to lift and divide the crowns every 5 - 6 years, which not only gives you more plants, but also improves the yield.

I've currently got Glaskins Perpetual, Early Red and Victoria sedlings on the go - the Victora seem to be stronger than Glaskins, but the Early red are only just sprouting, so can't compare them

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:32 by barney rubble »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:31 »
It's a bit late to plant now, early spring is best.  Never tried seeds but I would think you would be better off planting an established crown.
Cheese makes everything better.

mountainvicar

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 21:22 »
You can sow rubarb seed in April... but the choice of seed seems to be some what limited and in any case, the results from seeds are a bit hit and miss... and you will have to wait longer before you can crop.

Far better is to plant from crowns/potted plants... you get more choice (usualy), more reliable results and can you can crop sooner.

If planting from crowns you can ether plant them in late autum (oct/nov) or early spring (as soon as the soil becomes workable again).

If you go for autum you get a slightly stronger plant come the spring but you run the risk of it rotting over the winter... but usualy it works out fine. Personly I go for a spring planting.

The potted rubarb plants will appear in garden centeres from early spring and can planded out any time during the spring.

What ever choice you make, prepair the soil in the autumn... break up the subsoil for dranage and add loads of manure/compost... also add a bit of fish, blood and bone meal when you plant and stick some more compost on top in early spring.

Hope this helps

ooo... by the way, make sure it is a sunny spot.

Happy rubarbing!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 21:24 by mountainvicar »

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 22:02 »
Rhubarb was the first item to go in our garden plot!!
We got a young crown last Autumn and planted it straight out, weve not picked it this year to give it chance to establish. It looked pretty weedy in April, but its looking pretty convincing now! Plus nothing eats it (not even the kids!) - winner! Cant wait for all that rhubarb crumble next year!!
 :lol:

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 23:25 »

I have a single crown in my raised bed, right now i have stuff planted pretty close because it's not taking up to much space but i know when it get's bigger it will need lots more room.

Question though, how many crowns will i need to get a decent crop for the odd crumble?

Im thinking now that one may not be enough and maybe i should get a second next spring, it was a decent sized plant when i bought it and it's about 1.5ft in all directions atm so when should i spilit it for the first time? 2 years? longer?

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:37 »
Which ever route you go, you'll need to lift and divide the crowns every 5 - 6 years, which not only gives you more plants, but also improves the yield.
Probably depends on what variety your growing, I work at a school where one crown supplies the kitchens - it hasnt been split in at least 7 years, but its going great - feeds 1500 - but Im guessing you dont like rhubarb THAT much?!

barney rubble

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 07:52 »
Probably depends on what variety your growing, I work at a school where one crown supplies the kitchens - it hasnt been split in at least 7 years, but its going great - feeds 1500 - but Im guessing you dont like rhubarb THAT much?!

It must be massive!

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:55 »
Imagine triffids..... or little shop of horrors.....? Youre about there!!  :D

barney rubble

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 07:56 »
bet you could lose a few of the kids under it for a day :lol:

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 07:59 »
they dont get the cane at our place - they get the stalk!!

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 09:35 »
I planted seeds on a whim in early May - got 4 well established plants now, no probs with germination and they're looking healthy.  Plan to plant out in autumn once some garden space appears  ::)

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 16:29 »
Havent a clue poppie sorry - its been there longer than a good number of the staff!!

xx
Rhubarb planting

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 14:00
by Kleftiwallah
xx
planting out RHUBARB

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 16:29
by mumofstig
xx
Rhubarb planting question

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2016, 17:35
by banf77
xx
Planting Rhubarb Crowns

Started by bernie101 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 01, 2008, 06:58
by bernie101

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 28 queries.