Worried about a White Rhode Island Red

• 3 Replies

adie

Worried about a White Rhode Island Red
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:43 »
Hi All.

Only been a keeper for 6 weeks and very worried for Margot, our white RIR cross.

Margot was the top chicken in our flock of 3. Since last Saturday when it got very hot down here in Southampton her condition has detoriated rather badly and now she is looking very sad for herself. Her breathing seems laboured, her comb has lost colour and condition, her tail feathers are no longer standing up and she is "coughing" every so often. Her beak is open most of the time and every so often she "gurgles" as she breathes in.

There isn't any evidence of nasal discharge. Her crop doesn't feel enlarge or swollen and there is nothing evidently stuck in her throad that I can see. She doesn't appear to be egg bound as I can't feel anything inside her. But she hasn't laid since Saturday whereas she was laying every day before hand.

She isn't off her food or water, but she is definitely not as quick and active as she was but when we let them out to roam in the garden she seems to perk up and trots around for a while and then seeks solitude in the golden rod!

At first we thought she was struggling in the heat, so we made extra shade in their run and started adding ice to their water and wetting down their dustbath.

Do I need to take her to the vet? or does anyone have any advice they could offer??

Thanks.

Foxy

Re: Worried about a White Rhode Island Red
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 13:39 »
Hello Aidie,

It sounds like Margot has a respiratory infection, the "gurgling" you hear is likely to be the air sacs possibly  infected, her comb has lost colour probaby due to being quite poorly, you might find a blue tinge due to lack of oxygen, plus this heat we are having will be making her very uncomfortable. If the temp gets too high this causes stress which will lower the immune system.
She needs to see a vet  for a diagnosis and for a course of antibiotics ASAP. Good luck with her and keep us posted! :)

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 16:27 »
good luck with your hen, i've never heard of a white Rhode Island Red you learn something new every day.

adie

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 13:25 »
thanks for the help and pointers..

she went to the vets at teh weekend and their first thought was gape worm?? and their second was infection..

so spent a fun weekend syringing drugs down her throat.. and also the rest of the flock for good measure!!!

sadly it doesn't appear to be having any effect and today she is worse than ever and so back at the vets for a little stay.

oddly none of the other birds are exhibiting any signs or symptoms..... so hopefully they aren't going to go down with what ever this is?

I meant to put Rhode Island Red Cross.. but then not knowing any better... I am only repeating what the breeder told me.. so I hope I've got the description correct.

Pictures here

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=94426&id=719527022&l=7ccb0c720c

if you can confirm or deny the classification.. I would be very grateful

xx
What are the differences between rhode island red and rhode island red bantam?

Started by salt and pepper on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 00:39
by hillfooter
sad
HELP Rhode Island Red

Started by chickens4life :) on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 09:43
by ANHBUC
xx
Any Rhode Island Red breeders out there please?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:45
by Ice
xx
Rhode Island Reds

Started by Viv on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 17:52
by slowef

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 37 queries.