kohl rabi or spring greens cooked in the Kashmiri style

• 7 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
This recipe is from Madhur Jaffrey's book ATaste of India - MJ you are my goddess  :D
Ideally this should be cooked with mustard oil (available from Asian grocers) if you can't get it use a good strong olive oil but don't let it heat to smoking point.  If using young leaves just remove the coarse central stem otherwise cut the greens up.  it cooks for a long time but don't be put off by that.

Serves 4
1 &1/4 lb kohl rabi leaves or spring cabbage
5 tablespoons mustard oil (or olive oil)
1/2 tsp salt
2 hot dried red chillies deseeded ( I never bother deseeding)
4-6 cloves garlic peeled & very coarsely chopped

Wash the greens & cut off any very coarse stems, if leaves are large hold several together & cut crosswise into 2 inch strips

Heat the oil in a very big pan over medium-high flame.  If using mustard oil let it get smokingly hot (burns away pungency & makes it sweet) let it smoke for a few seconds, just get olive oil hot don't let it smioke.

Put in greens, 4 pints of water, salt, chillies & garlic.  Bring to a boil. Cook uncovered for about an hour (yes an hour) over a medium - high flame, stirring occasionally until there is just a little liquid left in the pan & the leaves are tender.

Goes well with plain basmati rice & a meat dish like Rohgan Josh or Kashmir lamb with red chillies with a good dollop of plain yoghurt on the side.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: kohl rabi or spring greens cooked in the Kashmiri style
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 20:44 »
I was thinking yup, that sounds nice till i got to 4-6 cloves of garlic :ohmy:
That sounds an awful lot ::)

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:34 »
4 - 6 cloves of garlic is nothing, I have recipes that call for 16 - 20 cloves now that is a lot :D  Because you're cooking it with a lot of liquid for a long time it doesn't taste especially strongly of garlic.  Of course it is an Indian recipe & garlic does figure large in Indian cookery but I'm a big believer in improvisation, if 6 cloves seems too much just use 3 instead.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 16:24 »
Would this work with any leaves? Or greens? I've got LOADS of Curly Kale and have just chucked a load of beetroot leaves to the chickens because there were too many to eat!  :ohmy:

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 16:54 »
I reckon it would work with kale & probably beetroot leaves, I tend to do it with spring greens since kohl rabi greens are hard to come by ususally.  There's only one way to find out isn't there? ::)

KarooPaul

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:30 »
Sounds like a plan for me as we have lots of kohl rabi leaves and no kohl rabi! I do something very much like this with kale (Sutherland and Tuscan black) already but not for such a long cooking time.

One thing that worried me a bit about this recipe description was putting a load of water into a pan of very hot oil. If one is not extremely careful, the water will not only vaporise but take oil with it when it does which will burn skill and/or combust...

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 07:59 »
I've cooked this recipe hundreds of times over the past 20 years & never once had a problem with the oil/water thing, obviously you have to be careful but that's a given when cooking anything, the worst thing that happens when I cook it is that it makes a bit of a noise.  I use a big pan & the leaves go in first so you're not adding the water straight on to the hot oil it's going in on top of the greens so there's a dispersal effect.  I don't think professional cooks would be able to print recipes in their cook books if there was a risk to life & limb other than the normal, hot, sharp, heavy of everyday cookery  :)

KarooPaul

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 18:06 »
My humble apologies, I had a bit of a "health & safety" moment! Not like me at all. I did once witness someone accidentally setting themselves on fire though (wet potato chips into deep fat) so I suppose that partly accounts for it. Anyway, sorry for coming across like a numpty. :)

xx
kohl rabi

Started by brianc on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2014, 20:34
by Yorkshire Lass
xx
kohl rabi

Started by ang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 15:00
by Novice
xx
Kashmiri red beans & turnips

Started by BobandJack on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 13:24
by HLS
xx
Italian-Style Brussels Sprouts

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 22:56
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 37 queries.