New plot

• 12 Replies

rarmstrong

New plot
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:50 »
Hi there, I took over a plot in late December and apart from a little lack lustre digging I have done very little.
Obviously at this time of year I have a meadow instead of an allotment and I am unsure if I should try and tackle the plot now or leave it till winter.
It is overrun with nettles and loads of other weeds.
Any advice is most welcome.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: New plot
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 13:35 »
Welcome to the forums.

Get stuck in!

What's to say that having left it since last winter, you won't do the same again! There's many on here would love to get their hands on a plot & would not be taking your approach to clearing one.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 14:13 »
Exactly !  Our allotment committee would reallocate it to someone who did want to cultivate it !

But then I guess you're just trying a wind up with us anyway :lol:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 14:14 by Aunt Sally »

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 16:52 »
I agree with the others. Get started now! It'll take longer than you realize and when the wet cold weather sets in you're not likely to want to do it. By spring you should be ready to plant things. If you're not willing, then give the plot up. No one said it would be easy as you must have read from others who put in the work and are now reaping.

Piccolo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 20:30 »
Are you finding the potential work involved daunting or is it a case that having an allotment "seemed like a good idea at the time"?  We were given our allotment at the later part of the year last year but I've been excited by it from the outset - couldn't wait to get started.  Are you not sure how to start?  There are a lot of helpful people on this site who will be all to willing to help with advice I'm sure.  For my part I would offer the advice of dividing your allotment into manageable sections, you will need to get all the weeds out and probably deep-dig it (we did) and for practical and morale-boosting purposes I would make a plan of where you are going to plant things (we've strayed from our original plan but it proved to be a useful base to start from). 

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 20:35 »
But then I guess you're just trying a wind up with us anyway :lol:

I think so too  >:(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

rarmstrong

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 17:23 »
Thanks for the advice (especially Piccolo), looks like some early starts at the weekends sandwiched inbetween marathon training.

Aunt Sally/Peapod...if I were winding you up why would I go through the bother of registering on an Allotment forum and make a post?
I was after advice which is what I thought this forum was for.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 17:33 »
Thanks for the advice (especially Piccolo), looks like some early starts at the weekends sandwiched inbetween marathon training.

Aunt Sally/Peapod...if I were winding you up why would I go through the bother of registering on an Allotment forum and make a post?
I was after advice which is what I thought this forum was for.

Mentioning the words 'lacklustre digging' and wanting to leave until winter (and thus having it a year with no work done) implied that you werent that interested. A lot of people would give their eye teeth for a lotty.

Youd be surprised how many register on a forum just simply to take the mick.
Advice is always given, but common sense should be used too.

I do hope you enjoy your allotment, you'll be surprised once you do get started at how much you do enjoy it

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 17:36 »
I too would get stuck in and get a plan and head start for next year  :)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 18:01 »
good luck with it - and once you get stuck in, you'll wonder why you put it off for sooooo long, especially when you start reaping the rewards and pickin your crops ;) :D

rarmstrong

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 18:07 »
Thanks for the advice.

Peapod , I think you may have had some bad forum experiences/mistook me for a member of 4chan ;)

Not sure how my initial post lacked common sense to be honest, but I'll leave it.
Got to find the wheelbarrow and fork that I know is down there somewhere.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 19:40 »
If your not sure how your initial post lacked common sense I sugest you re-read it  ::)

We give lots of helpful advice to allotment gardeners and your original post with a year of doing nothing sounds exactly like a wind up, no serious gardener would dream of doing that  ::)

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 19:55 »
Hi.  Err  can I have your plot if your not using it please  ;)
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
new plot

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 07:10
by bunch29
xx
My new plot

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 18:21
by stentman

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 30 queries.