Really good year for potato?

• 10 Replies

Bombers

Really good year for potato?
« on: June 27, 2009, 22:22 »
I'm now well down the row of first earlies, (Pentland Javelin) but I must admit, today I was taken by total surprise at the amount of spuds from one plant. ( i wish i'd had my camera with me) I took them round to my dads, and he weighed them in at 1.6Kg. :blink:
I was wondering, how's everyone else fairing this year?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

shay

Re: Really good year for potato?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 00:43 »
My earlies were dodo, mind you I was out of action backwise for a few weeks at the very least so my earlies were fighting for space with the weeds so 50% were quite small which is fine for potato salads. Fingers crossed that the seconds and mains turn out better as I have been able to give them a lot more TLC.

cAnAry53

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:08 »
my earlies have been very oor so far,have put it down to lack of moisture,its been very dry here for a while and others on the allotments ive spoken to have had poor results from theirs.

hectic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:10 »
I've never grown them before and planted charlottes in a mixture of beds and pots and am stunned at how many I have had - biggies as well!  :)

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:31 »
of the earlies that grew all were absolutely fantastic!  pity half the seed was duff and didn't grow though coz have finished the lot now :(
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 19:27 »
I've dug 8 plants so far and generally had 2/3 good sized and 6/8 little ones off each plant, I'm not sure if that's good or not but I dug them a bit too soon as wanted space for more peas, I've still got about 60 potato plants growing nicely fingers crossed nothing fatal happens  :ohmy:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 21:05 »
yes, so far, so good. The Charlottes are now big and cropping a bit over 1Kg per plant. My Pixies are doing well and the King Edward mains are just about to flower.

The wind and Friday's heavy rain have flattened 1 row of King Edwards but, hey ho.  :happy:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

GreenOwl

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 14:59 »
It has been for me.  I've grown a first early called "Accent" and they are excellent.  I've had a huge crop including baker-sized ones.

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 15:33 »
North Lincolnshire - maris bard and charlottes all very very good so far for yield and size and taste.
In ground that had to taken back from brambles and nettles on neglected piece of land recently bought from neighbour so I was doubtful of outcome. Garden compost a bit rough but I just dug it in and pots were planted row by row as I went along turning the ground. At home so watering easy. No complaints at all in the garden this year so far. Kitchen crew team leader (OH) starting to talk about needing a new freezer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 16:07 »
North Lincolnshire - maris bard and charlottes all very very good so far for yield and size and taste.
In ground that had to taken back from brambles and nettles on neglected piece of land recently bought from neighbour so I was doubtful of outcome. Garden compost a bit rough but I just dug it in and pots were planted row by row as I went along turning the ground. At home so watering easy. No complaints at all in the garden this year so far. Kitchen crew team leader (OH) starting to talk about needing a new freezer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't be bad.

Still waiting to pull mine. first year and still not sure if I'm earlies, mids or lates - or just late planting cos I don't know what I'm doing with them....but had a furk and found a few tiddlers, so I know there's probably more to come and be grateful for :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 17:50 »
I've just harvested my first new pots - Lady Christl - and got just over 1 kg from one root. Been watering well as ordered by OH so no complaints! :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Potato forks - are they any good?

Started by carrotlovers on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2007, 10:42
by Gwiz
xx
Are the Potato Gro-Kits any good?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 11:47
by des
xx
A good year for fruit?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 19:08
by pigguns
xx
a good year for plums

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 08:45
by stompy

Page created in 0.786 seconds with 29 queries.