Am I being too fussy ?

• 20 Replies

Tom Netall

Am I being too fussy ?
« on: June 23, 2009, 19:52 »
Sorry if it’s been covered before.

I’m a little disappointed by the taste of my early potatoes, Aaron Pilot. Finding them a bit bland.

No problem with quantity and apart from a little bit of scab, they have grown well, and are a decent texture.

Is it me, am I being too fussy ?

Any recommendations for next year  ?

Tom

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
Re: Am I being too fussy ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 19:56 »
Sorry to hear. There seems to be a few disappointed  :unsure:

I can recommend charlotte potatoes. Mine are lovely  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Parsnip

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 19:57 »
I've grown Arron pilot aswell and I said to DD last week I  was a bit disappointed with the flavour..

He recommended Pentland javelin, so I shall try them next year..and I'm going to try some International Kidney ( Jersey Royals) :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 20:00 »
Whereas I hated IK, and wont grow them again! Im glad we all have different tastes, it makes it fun trying different recommended ones  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 20:06 »
Whereas I hated IK, and wont grow them again! Im glad we all have different tastes, it makes it fun trying different recommended ones  :lol:

What didn't you like about them peapod - I was thinking of trying them next year.

Somebody else on here has /had grown them and they said they put them in with seaweed manure to get the "right " flavour (or thats what they were hoping to achieve)

Parsnip

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 20:07 »

I'm really into my spuds...  :wub:

I'm going to grow much more next year...I just feel I have to try IK as they are supposed to be the creme de la creme...I'll let you know what I think late spring/ summer 2010... :lol:

Tom Netall

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 20:18 »

What didn't you like about them peapod - I was thinking of trying them next year.

Somebody else on here has /had grown them and they said they put them in with seaweed manure to get the "right " flavour (or thats what they were hoping to achieve)

Is it really possible to alter/enhance the taste by adding things to the soil.  ???

barney rubble

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 20:24 »
Don't know Tom - I think it was a case of wait and see with it if I remember rightly. The seaweed was supposed to be there, as it was the sea minerals that whoever posted reckoned was the secret ingredient to Jersey Royals (or International Kidneys as we have to call them because of their protected status). There is a potatoe merchant who is a member called Iain, who often posts, so if no one else can answer this tonight, he may be able to advise later

Tom Netall

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 20:30 »
Don't know Tom - I think it was a case of wait and see with it if I remember rightly. The seaweed was supposed to be there, as it was the sea minerals that whoever posted reckoned was the secret ingredient to Jersey Royals (or International Kidneys as we have to call them because of their protected status). There is a potatoe merchant who is a member called Iain, who often posts, so if no one else can answer this tonight, he may be able to advise later

Cheers Barney, you live and learn don't you and thanks for clearing the IK/JR thing up, I was getting a little confused, which isn't hard in my case  :wacko:

barney rubble

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 20:34 »
Know the feeling :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 20:41 »
The way I cooked them the first time (see another thread) they fell apart(my fault). The next lot I was extra careful and they were gritty, watery and chalky. Nowhere near a new spud.Im not risking trying them again, plenty more to try

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 20:41 »

You cannot hope to achieve in one season, what's taken Jersey Islanders 100's of years to achieve as regards seaweed.

I grew International Kidney.

Once.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Parsnip

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 20:43 »

You cannot hope to achieve in one season, what's taken Jersey Islanders 100's of years to achieve as regards seaweed.

I grew International Kidney.

Once.

:D

Oh dear, that's two trusted members then, I shan't waste the space...  ;)

barney rubble

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 20:47 »
Well, I know I ain't got 99 years left, but it won't stop me trying .....for several years to come ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 20:53 »
A past thread on IK's.

About 6 dissatisfied customers.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=29177.15

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 30 queries.