Parsnips

• 30 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Parsnips
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 09:54 »
Any idea what to feed them on??.....i have a bag of fertiliser would a handfill down each row be ok?

As long as its not manure

I did same as lots of others - some in the bed (about 6 germinated) and some in paper pots to fill the expected gaps (25/30 germinated)  so far so good.  The paper pots parsnips (White Gem, planted in June) are now 2 weeks old, look a bit spindly and a few have the first showing of little parsnip leaves so I figure it's time to put them in the ground. 
Problem / question.  I opened the bottom of  couple of th epots an dthe roots are already there and curled round - but I thought parsnips had to grow straight.  :unsure:
Soooo    -  what do I do now (first timer me - but you already knew that!! ::))
- Can I plant these out?  all of them or just the very young ones that haven't grown their roots fully yet?
- should I take the base off the pots 
-  try and  plant them with roots straight? (not sure I could do this for some as roots look very long & fine)
- or do I give them up and plant some June Snips instead?

Sue

They sound like they wont grow straight now - if you plant them you will probably get some very strange shapes
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 15:33
by mobilekat
xx
Parsnips

Started by rideandy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 20:13
by sunshineband
xx
parsnips

Started by green jack on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 22:14
by Totty

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 28 queries.