Parsnips

• 30 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Parsnips
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 18:11 »
Easy enough for even me to remember  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 21:57 »
Panache (T&M) is what I bought which can be planted May / June. First lot sown early May with not much success, 2nd lot sown a couple of weeks ago are shooting through.  ::)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 21:58 »

You've only just got to grips with "pea"! :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 22:57 »

You've only just got to grips with "pea"! :tongue2:

What can I say..im going to have to be worrying everyone for a long long time

(especially you, mwhahahahahhaaaa  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:)

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 23:03 »
If I can get some june ones to plant now I may have a total of 6 whoppie that could be a very short half row !!! :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 23:04 »
If I can get some june ones to plant now I may have a total of 6 whoppie that could be a very short half row !!! :)

Depends how big they get!

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 23:13 »
hopefully enough for Christmas dinner  :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 23:14 »
Thats my goal every year for the next 5 years...managed to hit swede, carrots and snips last Christmas

this year is spuds  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 00:07 »
But so much easier to aim at the individual plants with the hoe when weeding, I find  ::)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Where's my specs??  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 12:18 »
The ones I did in paper pots did great, but there are now 2 in most positions, and I don't have the heart to pull one out and throw it. Those that went in the ground direct are much more patchy (2 from first go, a dozen from second). There are now big gaps in the row; is it OK to put leeks in them? The leeks should be able to stand above the snip leaves, it just means I'll have to dig them up together (leek and snip soup anyone?)

Charlie

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29 »
The ones I did in paper pots did great, but there are now 2 in most positions, and I don't have the heart to pull one out and throw it. Those that went in the ground direct are much more patchy (2 from first go, a dozen from second). There are now big gaps in the row; is it OK to put leeks in them? The leeks should be able to stand above the snip leaves, it just means I'll have to dig them up together (leek and snip soup anyone?)

Charlie

sounds a good idea to me... worth trying and it would, as you say, make use of the space!

Christine

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2009, 13:36 »
To all those of you who haven't had much of germination with parsnips - oh dear I must have your share. Threw some packets in tubs in decent compost in a sunny spot when I ran out of ground, kept watered and have lots.

Sorry folks.

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 19:04 »
Well an update here........My one Parsnip is flourishing well but lots of warm weather and a good soaking every now and then and surprise surprise i must have 12 to 15 just poking their pretty little heads up and i reckon the others could well follow :D :D :D.

So you were right just wait....takes a long time but i suppose this warm weather helps lots.......Thanks.

Any idea what to feed them on??.....i have a bag of fertiliser would a handfill down each row be ok?

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 01:49 »
To all those of you who haven't had much of germination with parsnips - oh dear I must have your share. Threw some packets in tubs in decent compost in a sunny spot when I ran out of ground, kept watered and have lots.

Sorry folks.

After   w e e k s of waiting and watering paper pots I seem to have 2 parsnips. I gave up with them in the greenhouse ages ago and dumped them outside and ignored them. Today I spottted 2 green parsnip like leaves....

If they grow I think I need a bed for them all on their own!!  ;)

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 09:13 »
I did same as lots of others - some in the bed (about 6 germinated) and some in paper pots to fill the expected gaps (25/30 germinated)  so far so good.  The paper pots parsnips (White Gem, planted in June) are now 2 weeks old, look a bit spindly and a few have the first showing of little parsnip leaves so I figure it's time to put them in the ground. 
Problem / question.  I opened the bottom of  couple of th epots an dthe roots are already there and curled round - but I thought parsnips had to grow straight.  :unsure:
Soooo    -  what do I do now (first timer me - but you already knew that!! ::))
- Can I plant these out?  all of them or just the very young ones that haven't grown their roots fully yet?
- should I take the base off the pots 
-  try and  plant them with roots straight? (not sure I could do this for some as roots look very long & fine)
- or do I give them up and plant some June Snips instead?

Sue
trying to be green except when blue

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 13:20
by Goosegirl
xx
Parsnips

Started by Rosy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 13:21
by kentishlad
xx
Parsnips help

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 20:38
by Plottered

Page created in 0.639 seconds with 27 queries.