poultry proof plants

• 6 Replies

wildwitchy

poultry proof plants
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:00 »
Can anyone recommend any "chicken/poultry proof" plants. As I'm building the pond & generally doing the back garden I'd like a bit of greenery & colour. It's looking very brown and grey out there! Quite depressing for someone that likes lots of colour!!

Vember

Re: poultry proof plants
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:09 »
Hi Ww :)

I've popped you over to Hen House, as it is a question  :D

I think amount of room & grass the birds have plays a huge part in what goes untouched also size of plants put in the ground :)
I find a lot of my plants have gone untouched with the exception of the mombrisha, I hate it anyway so that doesn't bother me :lol: but they obviously love it :lol:

I have hydrangers, escallonia, californian lilac, fusia's etc.... none get touched but these were already well established prior to the birds going on those areas :)

Sarah :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 12:16 »
Thanks sarah, I never quite know where to post things! So apologies that you have move things!

I have a big rose bush but all the bottom leaves have gone, same with a climbing passion flower plant. Recently bought a few small conifers & cordiliners (sp.) - those long purple spiky things for round the pond.

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 12:27 »
Don't apologize, that's what i'm here for :D

The cordyline leaves will get nibbled especially by the ducks who will drag the leaves in to or as near the water as possible ::) 
Conifers will be ok until new growth starts to appear then if un protected they will get eaten if not by the chooks and ducks then the geese :lol:

Could you pot them rather than ground plant? That way you can move them around ???

Anything new and small "ish" is at risk sadly :(

A plant they love to mess in but I've not seen them eat is pampass grass the ducks love hiding in ours :lol: But again near water the ducks will pull at the leaves I would imagine :(

Sarah :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:55 »
yes thats true, ive a pampas up the top that the chooks hide in. I think its a losing battle with trying to get a decent looking garden and have poultry.  :lol:

I.E.  FORGET IT.  :lol:

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:59 »
I have a rather large clump of Chives in the chicken run. I moved it in there when it outgrew it's position in the flower bed. I fully expected the chickens to eat it, but there it is, large as life and twice as ugly. It's even full of flowers just now.
I have no idea what Ducks would make of it though, but soup is my first guess.

Stree

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 00:24 »
Geese and chicken victims. lettuce, tomato, sweetpea, carrot tops. spuds, ( haulms)
nasturtiumn, night scented stock, peas, ... some they will devour, others they will just try, but destroy in trying........
I am seriously thinking about goose and gander pies......... The hens I can keep in a run, the geese need to be on the grass. and thats where the borders and veg beds are..

xx
Chicken proof plants???

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 16:05
by Roughlee Handled
xx
chicken proof plants

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 21:12
by Pixieswift
xx
fox proof pen - not sure which way to go.

Started by rosied on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 18:04
by rosied
xx
does my pen look fox proof?

Started by mandarincloth on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 09:22
by Sassy

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 29 queries.