broad bean problems

• 4 Replies

ferret51uk

broad bean problems
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:17 »
I have been growing Broad Bean for 23 years with no problems, this year I planted Imerial Green Longpod on the 15th March, they germinated well with plenty of flower which set with beens about an inch long, then nothing, they have been like this for several weeks and are going black, they may have been black before but I might not have noticed. The plants themselves are still heathy, I had a small amount of Black Fly but not a lot. Thanks in advance for any advice. Clive 

Paul Plots

Re: broad bean problems
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 20:13 »
The only thing I can think of would be blackfly but there's most likely someone who knows a great deal better!

I have blackfly on mine - but only recently on first sown batch and they have been cropping well. Second lot have failed to develop beans where blackfly is very heavy but that's only on a few plants out of the total... I've now sprayed them so expect the problem to be under control.

Hopefully someone with better advice will come along soon!  :(

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

jaws8

• I used to be indecisive, but now I'm just not sure
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 16:29 »
I think it sounds like thrips. Mine did exactly the same and any pods that did develop were small with black marks on them. There is very little covered on this forum about thrips but the rhs website has a good section on them. I had to destroy my whole crop :( The only thing I have struggled to find out is to how to treat them at an early stage so it will be interesting if you get any further advice.

ferret51uk

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 19:40 »
Thanks for the replys I don't think it was Black Fly as I had very little untill late on, I had bad Black Fly last year very early on but still went on to get a very good crop. Thrips are not some-thing I had heard much about but the sites I have looked at say that they make holes in the leaves and flowers and I had no sign of this. It's not just a few plants I am talking about but 2 1/2- 15 foot rows. I was told it could have frost at the wrong time but I thought Broad Beans were fairly hardy. Some of the plants had 10-12 beans set but stopped at around an inch long I wondered if the plants could not support them all. Cheers Clive

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 20:08 »
Hi, you can get something called chocolate spot if your beans are too close together, also you may want to consider sowing early January so your plants are high enough to pinch out before the blackfly.

xx
Broad Bean Problems

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 00:05
by Apostrophes
xx
Broad Bean problems

Started by drooping daisy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 12:07
by Avon
xx
Broad bean blackfly problems

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 21:31
by Starling
xx
Runner Bean problems

Started by jaycee on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 22:25
by muntjac

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 36 queries.