Thinking ahead how to use horticultural fleece ?

• 23 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« on: April 12, 2007, 22:41 »
So this year I'm looking to prevent the caterpillars even reaching my brassicas ! planning on using fleece, I've used it before to cover seedlings etc but I'm wondering what is the best method, easiest, cheapest way( just seen 30mx2m for a tenner on ebay) of protecting brassicas with it, does it work ?
so is it just a matter of chucking it over ?
So all suggestions please....
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 23:47 »
You can simply spread the fleece over the plants, allowing a bit of slack for plant growth, but the sides on the ground need to be held down with a length of wood and stones or bricks on top of it. This way the wind can't blow it up or off, and the caterpillars and flies can't simply crawl under with ease. Another way is to do some loops of hosing (like the Geoff Hamilton cloche in Design) and drape the fleece over that - but the sides and ends must be held down in the same manner as above.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 00:35 »
I use old 4 pint milk containers filled with water. Heavy as a brick but without the rough edges to tear the fleece. I expect any plastic water container would do.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:14 »
I use bits of old hosepipe cut to length and then use bamboo/dowling rod lengths stuck in each end of the hosepipe to create a nice curved tunnel for the fleece to go over.

Smudge

scaffolding netting
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:30 »
Last year i was given some scaffolding netting which was going to be thrown away (one small hole) and me and my hubby rigged up a large cage made from recycled plastic poles, that resembled a small poly tunnel. This stuff is ace because it stops the butterflies getting in, provides shade, but lets light in. Bonus is that its green and looked great! We had loads of people asking about it from our allotment, so its all been shared around. Also if you ask around, it should be FREE! Woo Woo!  :D
Keep your mind sharp, but your hoe sharper.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:39 »
I do the same as you guys and make a tunnel using plastic tube and canes in the ends. we have had problems with it blowing off and tearing so have to be careful to hold down the sides securely. It is a nuicance to have to take it off to weed but saves the plants from butterfly attack.I do the same over carrots too.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

WG.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:42 »
Quote from: "john"
I use old 4 pint milk containers filled with water. Heavy as a brick but without the rough edges to tear the fleece. I expect any plastic water container would do.
Filled with sand is even better since I found that they part-collapse after time when filled with water.   A little trickier to fill maybe but even 1 or 2 pint is big enough when you use sand.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 09:52 »
Quote from: "john"

These are widely used on our allotments in Hampshire.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 10:09 »
never even though about using plastic milk cartons before... will be from now on.. thanks guys

WG.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 10:35 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
never even though about using plastic milk cartons before...
Shame on you SG.  Milk cartons are in such high demand in my house that Mrs Golf has to remind me to drink the milk first!

agapanthus

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 11:12 »
I've made 2 of these tunnels....1 for the carrot bed, to keep the dreaded carrot fly off and 1 for my outdoor tomatoes, in the hope that it will protect them from blight later on in the season. I use plastic pegs to hold the fleece down. Wilkinson's sell them for 99p pack of 10. I roll the fleece up on the surface of the soil and put this under the hook of the peg, that way the fleece does'nt get damaged but it is still firmly in place. Does that make sense :?  :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 19:41 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "Sadgit"
never even though about using plastic milk cartons before...
Shame on you SG.  Milk cartons are in such high demand in my house that Mrs Golf has to remind me to drink the milk first!

Got loads of the damn things in my garage, my BH insists on recycling them but our council don't collect them, so I wait until I'm falling over them before they go to the recyling bank.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas,

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 20:33 »
I'm recovering the four quid Lidl polytunnel with fleece next week over the carrots - think the soil is warm now!, and on the brassica bed I'm making a viromesh tunnel using 20mm blue water pipe.  Hopefully that'll keep the beasties away!

Annie

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 22:21 »
I use viro mesh,it`s much more expensive but comes in good widths and lasts years and unless your OH lights a bonfire near them doesn`t get holes or rips! :?  :roll:

shaun

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 22:24 »
get on freecycle and do a wanted for a gazebo they make great cages for brassicas/fruit no faffing about lifting your net or fleece just walk in and do your stuff,the only problem being is getting a net big enough to cover it.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
Thinking ahead for spuds

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 05:23
by DD.
xx
Thinking ahead - blackberries

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 17:13
by Lardman
xx
Courgettes - thinking ahead

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 04, 2012, 18:52
by sunshineband
xx
Thinking ahead for winter, help please

Started by Bengal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 12:06
by tosca100

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 29 queries.