carrots in tubs

• 12 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
carrots in tubs
« on: June 17, 2009, 18:46 »
I've just picked up a dozen  really big buckets gratis from a small holding nearby, don't know what was in them originally, offal possibly, going by the smell - nothing a bit of hot soapy water hasn't sorted out ;)  Anyway, I'm thinking of drilling drainage holes in them & using them as planters.  Is it too late to sow carrots & parsnips in them?  Also any ideas what other stuff I could stick in them for this season?  I already have salad seedlings in boxes. Ta

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
Re: carrots in tubs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 18:54 »
Would have thought that carrots would be fine in them. I have grown carrots in tubs reasonably successfully. May be best to pick a type that is not overly long. Also I normally mix about 3 parts compost to one part sand for carrots in tubs.

No idea about parsnips.

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 19:10 »
This is my 3rd year of carrots in tubs and had no problems  ;)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

SG6

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 19:35 »
Don't think I have grown carrots in the ground, always been in tubs of one sort or another. :blush: :blush:

As AnnieB states they grow fine in a slightly sandy compost mix, also they do not like too rich a soil so need little feeding.

Well OK, mine get little feeding  :ohmy: :ohmy: and seem to do fine.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 20:12 »
You cant go wrong with containers grown carrots and they do love a sandy soil, as already said, theres loads than can still be planted now. A variety of parsnip can be planted in June, (dont know the name yet), and Im getting some for my raised bed specifically built at home for carrots and parsnips to fill a couple of gaps in.  Make sure they arent too long though,as they get much bigger than carrots, and plant less per container due to the large foliage
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Christine

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 20:42 »
I'm with peapod, I do both carrots and parsnips in tubs no problem.

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:25 »
Right drainage hole drilling tomorrow then.  Are they less susceptible to carrot root fly if they're in pots?  Thinking as they're higher up they might not be so attractive.
Has anyone grown hamburg parsley in tubs?  I personally loathe parsnips, in fact I would rather starve than eat one but OH loves them so I'm wondering if I go to the trouble of growing the foul things whether I might be better off growing hamburg parsely then at least I can eat the leaves.  Parsnips  :tongue2:  :tongue2: Don't even like to peel the things.  Mind there were so many buckets going begging I suppose I could get a load more & he can grow his own  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 03:04 »
You could also do some late potatoes, or cabbages (with netting against pigeons).

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:30 »
agree with all above postings but would add benefit of being in tubs is you can lift them up above about 2 foot in height to avoid carrot fly. Never lost a carrot yet in tubs whilst previously rarely had a good year out in garden - carrots grew but carrot fly damage spoilt them. I would always go for tubs now.
R

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09 »
what type of carrot is suitable for planting now then?
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:43 »
agree with all above postings but would add benefit of being in tubs is you can lift them up above about 2 foot in height to avoid carrot fly. Never lost a carrot yet in tubs whilst previously rarely had a good year out in garden - carrots grew but carrot fly damage spoilt them. I would always go for tubs now.
R

I get lots of good carrots from tubs and felt safe from rootfly, then along comes carrot weevil who doesn`t play by same the rules.

Nature always finds a way to get ya ! :)

nemie

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 04:32 »

I'm waiting for seeds to arrive for late June planting, i went for the two below:

Carrot Amsterdam Sweetheart Seeds

Carrot Flyaway Seeds

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:53 »

I'm waiting for seeds to arrive for late June planting, i went for the two below:

Carrot Amsterdam Sweetheart Seeds

Carrot Flyaway Seeds

thanks nemie

clip
carrots in tubs

Started by solway cropper on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 21:36
by Tenhens
xx
Carrots in tubs

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 23:17
by Growster...
xx
Carrots in Tubs

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 09:36
by surbie100
xx
A question for those of you who grow carrots in tubs and buckets.......

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 11:54
by Yorkie

Page created in 3.111 seconds with 36 queries.