Broody Again! What to do?

• 8 Replies

EggBound

Broody Again! What to do?
« on: June 12, 2009, 14:52 »
My light sussex has just gone broody again.  It took 6 weeks for her to give up last time, so I'm wondering whether to get some fertile eggs for her to sit on this time.  I'll give her the weekend to decide how tight she is sitting.  If I do decide to leave her sit on some eggs, what do I need to feed her?  The others are on layers pellets obviously.

Any advice / opinions for or against welcome before I make a decision on what to do.  If I don't reply straight away I'm not being rude - will be away for a couple days, and parents coming to check on hens while I'm not here.  Want to make the decision knowing all the facts first.

Thanks  :)

Roughlee Handled

Re: Broody Again! What to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 14:57 »
You will need to keep her separate for the 21 days of incubation and then for 5 weeks after that till the chicks are fully feathered. Then you can look at introducing them to the rest of your flock.

So you will need another coop and run.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 15:01 »
If you decide to get hatching eggs then here's a few things to consider :)

The hen will need to be housed separately whilst sitting, she will need a run attached to the house so that she can get out and stretch her legs, this will also mean the babies will be safe once they hatch.

Corn is better for a broody hen :)

You need to think about what's you are going to do with the boys normally more of these than girls, boys aren't easy to re-home :(

If you can buy the eggs in from a reputable  breeder as disease can be passed from the parent stock to the chicks which could then in-turn infect your older birds :(

I must just say well done for asking the questions first :D

Sarah :)

Make sure the female has been wormed and checked over completely for creepy crawlies, sitting females can die as a result of any nasties on them or in the house as they are so intent on sitting :(

EggBound

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:56 »
Thanks for your replies.  I have a separate small house and run that I originally bought for the three hens but decided wasn't big enough so I can isolate the broody in that.  I'll give it a good clean out and dust it with mite powder as a precaution.  I know this hen when she's broody won't shift off the nest on her own, so how long do I need to lift her off for each day and how long is it safe to leave the eggs uncovered?  I assume that the broody turns the eggs herself and maintains the temperature so I won't have to worry about temp, humidity etc like I've read about in incubator posts. 

How many eggs would you recommend I put under her?  There is a breeder half a mile up the road who supplies fertile eggs to Shrewsbury Market so I was going to pop up and see her.  OH willing to eat any cockerals produced  ::).  I don't really want to end up with more than another three laying hens due to space considerations, so would 6 be a good number to aim for, to allow for infertility / cockerals maybe come out with 2-3 to keep? 

Vember

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:08 »
6 would be fine under a l/suss :)

I get mine off twice a day am & pm, no more than 20 mins, some will get up themselves and do the necessary but I do find that my sussex are the ones that need getting out as once they start sitting they are very stubben & refuse to move :lol:

Apart from that leave her to it she'll do the rest :D

Sarah :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24 »
Hens are wonderfull and do everything themselves apart from getting off the eggs  :D.
I kept lifting mine off twice a day like Sarah and found after a huge poo followed by mad dust bath, eating session and a drink they raced back to get on their eggs on their own. After about two weeks they got the message and got off them selfs but just once a day.
Agree 6 or 8 is a nice number to put under her.

Good luck and keep us informed, we love babies on here and want photos to go ooh and aarh over  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

EggBound

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:47 »
Thanks for that.  I hadn't thought about giving her her own dust bath in the run - I'll do that.   So much to think about -  I'm not sure I planned this much when I had my own kids!  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:50 »
but with these you dont get the door slamming etc  plus they give you pressies around 5 or 6 times a week  :D

EggBound

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:57 »
You are so right!!  Maybe I should have stuck to chickens in the first place.  The amount teenagers cost I could be living on a smallholding in the middle of nowhere by now, not the middle of a housing estate.  :D

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.585 seconds with 29 queries.