Manure under apple trees

• 6 Replies

missycat

• Experienced Member
Manure under apple trees
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:16 »
Hi, I'm planning on putting a weed control membrane under 2  old apple trees (the ground is riddled with horsetail and it's proving impossible to dig around the tree roots) my question is: Can I put fresh horse manure around the trees before putting down the membrane? I don't have any rotted manure yet as I only set up my manure bin in Feb this year. Thanks

oldbean

• Experienced Member
Re: Manure under apple trees
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:35 »
We have large fruit trees, with weeds underneath, but i wouldn't put fresh stuff down. I could be wrong though.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:41 »
I put well rotted around mine, but would warn that horsetails love the stuff too - at least they've made an annoying first appearance around my mucked rhubarb this year, so hope your membrane will do the trick and snuff them out :unsure:

gillie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:23 »
"Can I put fresh horse manure around the trees before putting down the membrane? "

No!  fresh manure will 'steal' nitrogen from the trees. 

Do the trees look healthy and are they growing fairly well?  If so they do not need feeding.  If they look rather poorly give them a good sprinkling of a balanced fertiliser, but just removing the weeds will give them a tonic.

Cheers,

Gillie

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 15:30 »
Mares tail is SO invasive that I too would make an effort to remove a wide circle around each tree, put in some sort of deep edging to try to keep it out in future, add some old (never new) manure and then the membrane. A lot of work but that's what mares tail does.

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 16:49 »
Thanks for the replies. I will dig out as much weed as possible without disturbing the roots then feed the trees  as I pruned them quite severely in the winter (on the advice of a tree surgeon), then I'll put down the membrane to try to avoid new weed growth. I've been growing early potatoes in tyres under the trees this season and thought I might try strawberries and gooseberries in tyres for next year.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 16:53 »
Alpine strawberries would be good as they like shady conditions. They also like rich, moist soil.

xx
apple trees and manure

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 17:20
by Selkie
xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
apple trees

Started by vortex444 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 15:21
by Aunt Sally
xx
new apple trees

Started by sloworm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 05:19
by oldbean

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 28 queries.