can foxes bite through chicken wire?

• 71 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: can foxes bite through chicken wire?
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2009, 19:46 »
Don't know if they work at mine as it would be needed to cover a 1/2 acre with our house in the middle, 20+ lorries and two large dogs. The hens roam everywhere. I have emailed the company so will wait to see. We did see a mink down the bridleway near us about 6 months ago ran straight in front of me - don't know who was more surprised me, jim, the dogs or the mink!) and have asked them if it will work on them - just in case it's still around although not seen it since.
Staffies are softer than you think.

karlooben

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2009, 20:44 »
joyfull our allotment site has been thrashed 7 times in less then 3 years by bascaillyy kids out to nick anything that is sellable  thats who i worry about . the last time every shed was broken into every padlock busted including gates into gardens only ones not to be touched was the chicken run  :ohmy:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

joyfull

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2009, 21:29 »
Thats awfull, glad your chickens were ok though.

wildwitchy

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2009, 23:44 »
Hmm, I've partially built my chicken coop down my lottie but loads of holders have warned me about putting chickens on there because of the kids, never mind the foxes! I will be the only one there with chickens at the minute. It does make me think or is it because I'm going to be the only with chickens??? Am I being paranoid that they don't want chooks on there? Word has got round and everyone is asking me about it? I'm not sure why. There hasn't been that much trouble from the kids as far as I know.

karlooben

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2009, 07:50 »
i am the same as you but although we do get broken into quite a bit theres tons of ppl on the site nearly all day everyday so they always keep an eye out , and stpuidly ppl stay out there when its dark and since the kids got caught by 2 male plot holders last time they havent been back since . my place is surrounded by houses on 3 sides and a cementry on the other we know they come in from that side off the site and personally i reckon they are mental for doing that u would never catch me doing on a cementry in the dark :lol: :lol:, you probably find that the other plot holders are just worried about the birds but also they will be fascinated by them.

joyfull

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2009, 07:54 »
ww, pehaps when they see your hens the idea may catch on and others may start to keep them - you'll be a trend setter  :D.

wildwitchy

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2009, 00:36 »
yes i think they are intrested but they are also concerened aswell. Probably rats, all the usual.......am i having cockerel??? You know you cant keep a cockerel here! etc etc.......  ::)

The dead aren't gonna hurt you- its the living thats gonna harm you! Our lottie backs onto a graveyard & canal. It's very peaceful in the evenings. I don't even think about the graveyard just over the way! Yes Joy, It wouldnt surprise me if others dont have chickens as well. It only takles one person to start doesn't it. I can have up to 12 at the lottie. Never thought of myself as a trend setter tho!  8)

karlooben

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2009, 07:42 »
i had a rat probelm well one rat  :lol: inside my run and although i am  totally against killing anything i had to place a bait box inside the run to  show other plot holders that i am willing to help control the probelm with them and i am only getting praise for my girls from everyone like last night about 6 of us plot holders were outside the run in the pouring rain i mite add watching the babies etc an each person loved it to bits and we had a good laugh . i reckon you should do it but only start of with a handfull of girls then slowly add to it , i certainly aint allowed a cockerel or ducks  :( but i have had a few ppl whisper to me ' get a cockerel go on no one will notice for a few days then u can hatch your own chicks ' but i dare not cross the line an annoy anyone as i could lose my girls and that wont be happening although i am worried as we have someone new taking over at the council who will be running open grounds an allotments etc so i dreading to see what she says about the size of my run etc.

joyfull

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2009, 07:45 »
not worth rocking the boat and getting a cockerel looby. I wouldn't have thought the new people could do much as your run was there before they took over and had no problems, plus you grow veg on the rest don't you.

karlooben

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2009, 11:37 »
i would not get one even if i was allowed ,i'd end up taking over most the site with chocks  :lol: :lol:

i can only pray that the new woman isnt a miserable old whatever but the council allow them so she cant moan mum will be meeting her tomorw night at the council meeting so i'll know more tuesday .

joyfull

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2009, 12:10 »
good luck and fingers crossed for you that she's nice  :D

wildwitchy

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2009, 12:13 »
Hmm, i have a habit of just starting with a few things (like at home) & i end up with a flock! If I start with just a few perhaps they'll never realise if i add 2 at at time!
 I could go from 6 to 50 over a course of a year without them even noticing....................perhaps. Add a few little chicks here and there.........  :closedeyes:

xx
chicken wire and foxes

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 18:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
Chicken wire/wire fence

Started by Ali on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 18:04
by Tweety
xx
chicken over bite

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 09:11
by joyfull
xx
What size chicken wire?

Started by BML on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 16:25
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 29 queries.