Eglu cube/automatic door, feedback please

• 22 Replies

jo40

• Experienced Member
Eglu cube/automatic door, feedback please
« on: June 09, 2009, 18:45 »
Ive had my 'practice run', decided that the chickens are here to stay  :D so would now like to invest in better housing (there in an old, last legs  :wub: converted shed at the moment).
My least favourite job is the early morning dart up the garden to let them out, so I would like to invest in an automatic door opener.
The other item on my 'wish list' is easier cleaning and maximum protection against mites, so I have also been looking into the Eglu.
Has anybody been able to fit an automatic to an eglu?
I have contacted eglu, they did not seem to know if this was possible.
I would appreciate feedback on the eglu and automatic doors as they are both pricey items and if both is not an option I can make an informed decision on which one to buy.

Foxy

Re: Eglu cube/automatic door, feedback please
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 19:24 »
cant help you with those large plasticky things, but I have door openers and they are a god send, particulary in the winter when I might not get back in time to close the henhouses. Useful to have a metal door and in the winter the wood can get swell, sticking the mechanism, apart from that I cant fault them. Plasticky coloured things in the garden???no thanks! :lol:

Rivereden

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 19:28 »
I agrre with Foxy, they are a god send when you are late back or to save you getting out of bed at 4am. And also go with the metal door as stated because if the wooden door does swell then it may leave the hen house vunerable to an over night at by "Foxy"

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 19:47 »
4am!!  :unsure:
Maybe the automatic door needs to take priority as I thought I was doing well at 7am.
I do have concerns about the winter months and not being home in time. Also my hens have food and water in the shed at all times, the eglu only seems to allow access to food outdoors.
Do I really need to be letting them out earlier?  :closedeyes:

Rivereden

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 21:02 »
Hi jo40.....I let mine out with the auto door at around 5am but if i was having to get out of bed to open the door then 7am would be about right.

The longer the days the longer i like to leave them out. The house stays a lot cleaner and dont worry about putting them to bed with water and food they can survive 12 hours easy at night without, thats obviously why Eglu are like they are.

The door opener is a must if you can spend the money. It saves worrying rushing back in the winter evenings when its dark at 4pm

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 21:10 »
it also makes life easier for any neighbours/friends to look after them, not sure many would apreciate getting up at the crack of dawn! :unsure:

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 21:50 »
Thanks for feedback

Benefits of auto door are very appealing, I think this is the way I should go. Any recommendations around designs for a new house?
Easier cleaning/minimum mite risk :ohmy: 
It will need to house approx 8 chickens. I want a design that can be raised at least a ft off the ground and will be easy to fit an auto door!  :D
Its going to be a costly business so would like to get it right :unsure:

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 22:17 »
pop into your local B&Q and have a look at the "lads shed" they are around £140, 3x4 foot, good ventilation and a window. I have 2 with auto timers. :) easy to fit a nice size run too.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 22:23 »
Why get up at the crack of dawn  :ohmy:  I never let mine out until at least 7 a.m.

Lots of stuf here

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=8190.msg92494#msg92494

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:09 »
With an Eglu can't you just leave the door to the coup itself open overnight? - they are then confined to the enclosed run until you get up.

Obviously in Winter, with colder nights, the coup door needs to be closed, and re-opened - but not at 4am!

too many girls

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 08:47 »
one of my favourite jobs is letting out the hens in the morning i love it, i think the automatic pop holes are great for busy people or if your going to be late home but i would worry that someone hadn't gone to bed and get left out all night, mine do not get up at 4 am even if they wanted to which i'm sure they don't.

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 18:23 »
Leaving the door open at night during the summer is something I have wondered.  Eglu state that the run is fox proof so my concern is would be if a summer draft is a problem to chickens?
Do any Eglu owners tend to leave the doors open?
I have been looking at the auto doors, they all seem to work off light senors, are these reliable or would anyone recommend a timer.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 18:34 »
"my concern is would be if a summer draft is a problem to chickens?"

I can only speak for myself, but once the temperature is above 60F / 16C I don't think the Chicks are struggling :) and I reckon that some fresh air is beneficial.

I don't have a fur coat / feathers :D, but once temperature gets to 65F / 20C I prefer to have the window open a notch at night.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 22:11 »
It's fine to leave the eglu door open at night if you wish to as long as the run is securely closed. 

I close my eglu door at night because I don't want the chooks to get up and shout before 7a.m.

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 22:15 »
me too but sometimes they nudge the door open, when I forget to push the handle down, then it's an early alarm call   :D  I leave the Eglu door ajar on hot nights, which is not often lately

xx
Eglu Cube

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 22:53
by jo40
xx
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 01:03
by compostqueen
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by mikeimp on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 19:54
by Dopey113
xx
eglu cube

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 07:15
by symonep

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 29 queries.