Fleece and carrot fly

• 16 Replies

gillie

Re: Fleece and carrot fly
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 15:05 »
"Have you done this to raise them up to chair-sitting height, or is it just a couple of courses of bricks? and if so I'd appreciate some details please - all the 2-course brick retaining structures I have had have been seriously damaged by frost, sooner or later."

One is chair sitting height, the others lower, perhaps three or four bricks high but might eventually get an extra course.  Yes, some are frost damaged and have to be patched up from time to time and it would be better to put a layer of engineering bricks along the top, however they were all made from odds and ends.  I believe they were made by digging a shallow trench and placing concrete kerbs flat on their sides by way of a foundation before building the walls.  They certainly are not perfect (there is a foxglove growing out of the side of one!) but they do.  They were not made in one superhuman effort, they have evolved.

I don't think I would want to sit on a chair by the beds, but it is good not to have to bend down so far.

"I've got 5 x 32' rows"

That's a lot of carrots!

I reckon I have got 44' of carrots in the cage, though one row is germinating badly and may be re-sown. I also have a few forced in a cold frame which are almost ready.  From experience that should  be enough carrots to keep us going until at least next March.  Enough.

Cheers,

Gillie

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Fleece and carrot fly
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 15:34 »
Thanks. Useful idea about the kerb stones for footings. I take your point that it doesn't have to be a work or art, nor done overnight, so some frost damage can be tolerated.

I don't think I could face having engineering bricks though!

xx
Best carrot protection - Enviromesh or fleece?

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 22:31
by harrymac
xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
fleece - where do you get yours?

Started by outdoorgirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 15:12
by mumofstig
xx
fleece or net

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 19:37
by chili

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 28 queries.