Potato Blight

• 22 Replies

rhian13

Re: Potato Blight
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 20:31 »
oh no!! I never knew about early blight!!!

My earlies have some brown patches on their leaves!!! and I was wondering as it's a our first crop on the plot we cleared, maybe we didn't work in enough manure & possibly it was a nutrient deficiency on our heavy clay soil? or waterlogging?

I thought maybe blight, but there's no white fur under the leaves - the older leaves are peppered with brown spots, and the leaves aren't as green and healthy as they were & curling a bit. It doesn't look like the blight we had on our garden potatoes last year. Could it be early blight? :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 20:42 »
Have a look are there any snails or bugs eating the underside of the leaves (mine had green shield bugs on them..very hard to spot) if they eat the underneath and leave the top leaf layer it goes brown and looks spotty. Looked scary but that's all it was :)

rhian13

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 21:18 »
Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow  - the spots are very uniform, it might be a bug  :unsure: they have probably realised there is something worth eating, instead of couch grass.

I'll look a lot closer underneath  :)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 23:30 »
I had a blight watch notification on 15th May for PE4 PE8 and PE19 I'm PE9 and all ok (touch wood).

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 09:05 »
Some of my plants have small, dark brown, dead patches on some of the newer leaves but this has been caused by blackfly or some other little sucker like the previously mentioned shield bug.

The damage is quite different to blight and doesn't progress, I think it is caused by the very young leaf being attacked.

a1adviser

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 11:33 »
Hi all,
 The Blight seems to have gotten a hold on our allotments in Doncaster.  I was away at the weekend and came back to see what were previously healthy green plants, to be all yellow and falling. 
Other allotment holders had cut the tops off their plants and the tomatoes look awful too.  What i thought was a little sun scorch apparantly turns out to be blight on them as well.  I have been told to keep picking the tomatoes but under ripe and may still get a few as there are loads on the trusses.

I am new to allotment gardening and have adopted the four year cycle by dividing the allotment down the centre with a path so I am hoping that this will help limit disease with crop rotation.     But have read that some varieties or less prone to the disease, does anyone know where you can get a blight resistant potato list or is there no such thing?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 11:41 »
The most blight resistant ones are the "Sarpo" variants.

Have look at this for proof. Photos taken today.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=43099.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 11:43 »
This link may also be useful.

You can search for numerous characteristics, including blight resistance.

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/menu.php?

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
clip
I have got potato blight...

Started by devonbarmygardener on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 17:13
by devonbarmygardener
xx
After potato blight

Started by bwize on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 23:38
by viettaclark
xx
Potato blight....

Started by parsley on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 14:45
by parsley

Page created in 0.643 seconds with 32 queries.