docs

• 5 Replies

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
docs
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:50 »
hi guys

My plot was covered in doc leaves when we got it early this year.  I pain stakingly dug all of the weeds out (however I do understand that some would have been left in and the seeds etc)

I planted all my veg etc and now since the hot weather and then the rain, my plot is a see of Docs and even more so in a pure curle around the roots of all the veg.

Whats the best way to get rid of docs? I dont seem to have any other offending weeds at present apart fromt them?

Beetroot queen

Re: docs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:54 »
we have just kept digging and digging and digging them out, the last man who had our plot believed in planting alongside the weeds so the roots resembled carrots  :unsure:

just keep digging them out as soon as you see them

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:54 »
Don't know about best way to get rid of them but the seeds can lie dormant for ten years and then grow  >:(
Staffies are softer than you think.

gillie

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:00 »
If you try to dig out a whole dock root the chances are it will break just below the surface and then regrow.

However if you chop the root more than four inches below the surface the remaining root will die.  So slide a spade four or five inches down beside the weed and then aim to snap the root.  For really tough ones you may need to use secateurs or even tree loppers.  Just don't bother with the bottom bit.

Cheers,

Gillie

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:41 »
oh so in that case, would it be worth rotavating the areas were there is no veggies in yet, to chop the root?

gillie

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:21 »
"would it be worth rotavating the areas were there is no veggies in yet, to chop the root?"

As long as you can get at least four inches down, give it a go!  Some off the chopped off bits may start to re-root, but they should be easy to remove.

Gillie

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 28 queries.