What is best way to germinate Comfrey

• 4 Replies

blue

• http://www.weatherwatcher.me.uk
« on: April 08, 2007, 12:15 »
I recently brought 2 packets of Russian Comfrey fron Chiltern seed and to date have only managed to get one seed to germinate from both packets, are they hard to germinate or have i just been unlucky

WG.

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 12:34 »
Can't help you there, sorry.  Like most people, I propogate comfrey vegetatively by dividing the clump.  Maybe you could ask the vendor for typically germination rates?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 13:15 »
I didn't know you could buy the seed. If I was you I would buy a minimum quantity of root cuttings from the HDRA and then split a plant next spring. I got 25 plants from one quarter of a plant - dead easy.

Bocking 14 is a sterile clone so safe if you leave it too long and it seeds.  Comfrey is a wonderful tough plant and a nightmare weed if it gets spread - hence the aim for a sterile clone.

Have you seen this article wot I wrote?  Russian Comfrey
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: What is best way to germinate Comfrey
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 14:45 »
Quote from: "blue"
I recently brought 2 packets of Russian Comfrey fron Chiltern seed and to date have only managed to get one seed to germinate from both packets, are they hard to germinate or have i just been unlucky

I bought mine from there a few years back, get some sand paper and rub the seeds in between two pieces Gently! to remove some of the outer seed coat, that should improve your germination rate.

Their very easy to grow from root cuttings 1" long laid on their side in a seed tray, with a mix of peat and sand keep well watered and 99.9% will shoot.

So if you only get a few next year take root cuttings in the early spring before the plant starts really moving.

Hope this helps
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 15:49 »
comfrey is just very easy to grow!  I sent some bits to a fellow member is a little while ago, but I'd dug up and divided the bits into about 24 pieces.  They are now all growing in my little greenhouse in pots!!!

I've never grown from seed either, all the bits I've got are from the parent plant that I bought over 20 years ago!

xx
Will my seeds germinate!

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 13:51
by Trillium
xx
Slow to germinate?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 19:35
by zazen999
xx
Garlic won't germinate

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2021, 12:42
by Snowboar
xx
Carrots don't germinate

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 08:31
by Bernard

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 36 queries.